swimming?

Mrs L

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone had taken there little one swimming yet? What age were they? or if not when will you take them?

what water nappies did you use? What swimming wear did you use where did you get them?

I'm asking because we go on holiday soon and my OH wants to take Niamh swimming but i just want to make sure she can and whats best to keep her safe etc

Thanks in advance x

my local childrens centre do a swimming grouo and they take babies from 8 weeks so Chloe will start then. I dont know if it might have anythying to do with jabs???

I bought a swimming nappy from Toys'R'Us. She poos at the same time everyday so it's only to stop her wees lol! I haven't taken her yet because my nan and grandads pool has been unavailable but I wanted to take her at 2 months!! I got her swimming costumes from Mothercare and Toys'R'Us.

I spoke to my Health Visitor about this and she said they can really go at any age, so i am planning on taking my LO this week or next... :D

I think it depends on whether you are swimming indoors or out. I read in a book that you shouldn't take you little one out in the sun until 6 months plus!

I think it depends on whether you are swimming indoors or out. I read in a book that you shouldn't take you little one out in the sun until 6 months plus!

Its an indoor pool and in england so defo no sun!!!:rofl:

I took Kaya at 6 weeks when I was allowed to go (after a c-section)

We took max when he was 5 weeks old , not for very long heated pool ..but he went again at 2 months and he loves it , now almost 4 months I cant controll him when hes in the pool he kicks his legs and moves his arms lol

I took Kaya at 6 weeks when I was allowed to go (after a c-section)

ooo i didn't think about waiting till 6wks, i probably shouldn't go swimming yet then. Dammit i was looking forward to it :(

If you've had a c-section you should ask your midwife if you can go swimming or not - all the stuff I looked at gave different advice so I just played it safe.

Aeryn's been going to swimming lessons with Water Babies since she was 5 months and we only waited that long because there was a waiting list (the youngest baby they've had enroll was 2 days old).

I honestly cannot reccomend them enough. Aeryn can now hold the side on her own, swim underwater, "jump" from sitting on the edge into the pool and swim using a "woggle" float without me needing to hold her. She's also never had a problem with water in her eyes. She actually puts her head down to try and go under now. Oh and she blows bubbles lol

The absolute best part has to be the underwater swimming. Nothing more funny than watching a baby wiggle swim underwater. They do underwater photos at the end of each term too, I have one on my wall of Aeryn :)

Only downside is it's not cheap. The terms are currently £110 a pop. I've had to go without other activities so that we could keep doing the lessons but I feel it's been worth it. Especially when i go to the local pool and no one else is able to do half of what I can with Aeryn.

Anyway what I was going to say was about nappies lol

We use a tandum nappy system - that's a paper swim nappy (I know Huggies do em, just have a look at your local supermarket) and on top of that we wear an outer swim nappy - basically it's a pair of lycra shorts (think mens swimming pants!) that go over the top. I'm sure I've seen them in Boots. You can get them from the water babies site but I recon if you do some googleing you will find other places that sell them.

You can also get baby wetsuits if you are worried about baby getting cold. I've not had this problem in the local learner pools but it is a lot colder in "big" pools.

One thing I will say about the Huggies water nappies - they rip at the sides so are easy to take off... I didn't know this to start with tried to take them off by sliding it down her legs, but one day she'd had a huge poo... ended up in a right mess.

God can you tell I've had no one to talk to all day today :rofl:

I bought a swimming nappy from Toys'R'Us. She poos at the same time everyday so it's only to stop her wees lol! I haven't taken her yet because my nan and grandads pool has been unavailable but I wanted to take her at 2 months!! I got her swimming costumes from Mothercare and Toys'R'Us.

I learned the hard way, swimming diapers only hold in poo, not pee. That's how they don't explode in the water. DH was standing in the kitchen holding her when we figured that one out! :dohh:

I took Bella at 6 weeks as soon as I could go. I bought her a swimsuit and swim diapers. She loves it. You need to be careful of babies in indoor swimming pools and chlorine. Google it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->