Swings, Bouncers and other baby gear!

lovelymiss

First Time Mommy
Reaction score
What did you use or are you planning to use as far as baby gear?

Right now I have a pack n play that I've had for my nephew, who I used to watch a lot. I plan to use that in our bedroom for sleeping for the first few months before he goes to his crib. I like the one I have because it has a really good changing station.

I've also registered for the Snugamonkey Swing (I wanted a plug-in cradle swing that swung back & forth as well as side to side) and the Snugamonkey Rock n Play, which vibrates.

I wanted a 2-in-1 Bouncer/Swing combo but none of them plug in or swing both ways. I don't think I really need a bouncer with the rock n play. Then again, everyone swears by the rock n play, but do I really need it if I plan on the pack n play? It reclines as well, just doesn't vibrate. Should I just get a bouncer as well so it's more portable/compact? Or is the rock n play portable enough to suffice in place of a bouncer?

Thoughts, opinions on any of this gear? Also, feel free to just let me know your plans or what you've used and why! There's too much baby gear out there and I just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of crap I don't really need!!

The only things we've decided for sure are a bassinet for our room and the pack n play cuddle cove for downstairs (it has a changing station and removable vibrating chair).

I also know I'll be wearing the baby a lot, so I am looking into carriers, but haven't decided for sure. I think I like the moby woven wrap for younger age baby.

I am going back and forth b/w a regular swing and the arms reach hammock swing...one of my children loved the swing, but 3 did not so maybe I'll have more luck with the hammock?
With my first, he had a regular swing that went only forward and back, fast! Since he liked it so much, with the next, I splurged and bought the nicest, top of the line swing, it could go both ways, all fancy looking and he hated it, I tried it again with the next and still no luck. I bought a 3rd for my youngest (only girl, so I felt ok buying her another one lol) and again, it had all the bells and whistles, but she didn't like it... Looking back, I think those newer ones just didn't go fast enough! If I can find one that has some speed, I think I may try again lol (and, don't know if its related, but they all have grown into some serious thrill seekers!!!)

I'll also be getting a baby bathtub, I definitely used that a lot. And a boppy (nursing pillow that can be used for baby too).

I don't know much about the rock n play, but online, it looks very portable and basically like a bigger bouncy seat, so I'd say you wouldn't need both, IMO!
But, I think the pack and play and rock n play are 2 different things. The pack n play has the changing area, and when baby is sitting and mobile, it's a safe area to put lo with some toys or down to sleep. Baby should use the pack n play much longer than the rock n play or bouncy seat.

Yeah I am worried he might not like it. If that's the case, I plan to return it!

I definitely plan on a carrier or two because I want to wear baby. I have a Moby already and registered for the Mei Tai. And a play mat. Car seat, stroller and the like. I registered for a simple bathing seat that goes into the tub/sink for washing. A space saver high chair that attaches to the kitchen chair, and converts to a booster. My SIL gave me a boppy. Ummmm... I don't know what other "gear." I think that's about it?

I'm so bad bout returning things, I always think we'll use it in the future :(
And I am bad about making a decision and sticking to it. One day I want this one, then that one looks better...ugh!

Definitively a car seat, debating on an infant carrier seat or straight to convertible. I doubt I'll use it to transport baby outside of the car, but you never know! I rarely carried my others around in it, I hate seeing babies in their seat, I don't know why! What are you doing?

I'll pick up a play mat, too. I like several strollers - I just want an all terrain one since we spend a lot of time outdoors - mountain buggy and tike tech are on my must see list. Which stroller are you going with?

we'll wait awhile for the high chair though

We are getting an infant seat. I just can't see having to unstrap him every time we get in and out of the car when he is so little. Especially if he's napping. I'd rather get him inside so it's easier to move him.

We registered for the high chair, but if we don't get we'll wait a few months.

We are going with a jogger-type stroller/carseat combo:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18244776#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Hoping it goes on sale!!

Thinking back to my first...

Bassinet, waste of money for us. May work for most but I tore my back muscles and couldn't walk so needed LO in bed with me.
Swing. Used frequently. Was bulky though.
Vibrating bouncer. Used frequently. Would like to get a combo swing one.
Pack n Play. Loved. Great for traveling and a safe place for baby when older.
Regular high chair. Huge and bulky. Recommend space saving high chair.
Infant car seat. Necessary if not planning on wearing much. Then progress to ERF car seat.
Never used our play mat.
Bumbo was a waste.
Changing table was unnecessary. Could use dresser and save space.
Excersaucer was never used.
Didn't like our Baby B'Jorn.
Baby tub was important.
White onesies. You can bleach them WHEN baby spits/poops on them. Some outfits get ruined.
Don't buy too many clothes. Baby grows exceptionally fast.
Sleep blankets (here). Keeps baby warm, reduces the risk of SIDS.
(These) sleep gowns. Easy for diaper changes.
Diaper genie.
If you're going to formula feed, do not buy bulk formula. Formula is expensive and cannot be returned. Buy a small can, like a liquid one, and see how baby reacts.
Second that for diapers. You don't know how your baby will react to certain brands.
Breathable bumper.
Crib teething protector.
If you plan on pacifiers, buy a clip and many. Experiment with brands, my daughter would only take one and it was trial and error.
(This) projector was amazing. It was so soothing and LO loved it.

I'll see if I can think of more. :)

We have a swing and had a bouncer. He didnt like his bouncer so gave it to my mum to use at herhouse. Now he is 4 months old he loves the bouncer, he also has a bouncer at his other grandparents house as much easier when hes round.
Now that he is 4 months the swing only gets used when were trying to eat or when I quickly have a shower he wont stay in there for long.

Id say his favourite thing is his lamaze planets playmat. He could honestly play there for an hour and started using it from very early maybe 7 weeks. We also use his bumbo for short periods of time. But I wouldnt spend a massive amount on a swing/bouncer as I find hes bored of them at only 4 months ( are good for newborns though)

Thinking back to my first...

Bassinet, waste of money for us. May work for most but I tore my back muscles and couldn't walk so needed LO in bed with me.
Swing. Used frequently. Was bulky though.
Vibrating bouncer. Used frequently. Would like to get a combo swing one.
Pack n Play. Loved. Great for traveling and a safe place for baby when older.
Regular high chair. Huge and bulky. Recommend space saving high chair.
Infant car seat. Necessary if not planning on wearing much. Then progress to ERF car seat.
Never used our play mat.
Bumbo was a waste.
Changing table was unnecessary. Could use dresser and save space.
Excersaucer was never used.
Didn't like our Baby B'Jorn.
Baby tub was important.
White onesies. You can bleach them WHEN baby spits/poops on them. Some outfits get ruined.
Don't buy too many clothes. Baby grows exceptionally fast.
Sleep blankets (here). Keeps baby warm, reduces the risk of SIDS.
(These) sleep gowns. Easy for diaper changes.
Diaper genie.
If you're going to formula feed, do not buy bulk formula. Formula is expensive and cannot be returned. Buy a small can, like a liquid one, and see how baby reacts.
Second that for diapers. You don't know how your baby will react to certain brands.
Breathable bumper.
Crib teething protector.
If you plan on pacifiers, buy a clip and many. Experiment with brands, my daughter would only take one and it was trial and error.
(This) projector was amazing. It was so soothing and LO loved it.

I'll see if I can think of more. :)

This is so helpful! Thanks :)

Baby will be in our bed at night until about 12 months. I might 2 side the cot, or just use a bed rail.... not really sure yet. Baby will sleep in a sleeping bag between me and the wall/cot rail/cot and won't be under my duvet. After 12 months or there abouts will start transitioning to the cot.

Naps will probably nap on my knee or in a sling...anywhere the boobie is in reach. IF (and its a big if) they sleep well enough or long enough without a boobie in the mouth I'll probably pop them in moses basket or cot.

I'll have moses basket handy for a put down place when they are tiny and then a blanket on the floor when they are bigger. We've given away bouncy vibrating chair and jumperoo.

Bath wise.... I have baby in the bath with me until they are old enough to go in with their siblings. We had a baby tub but threw it out. So so so much easier just to get in bath and have OH to hand me the baby and then I can wash them and hand them back.

Babies don't have to be expensive.

Cot/bassinet/ moses basket ..... replace with...... your bed.
Stroller/ pram ..... replace with...... baby carrier
Baby bath ..... replace with...... just use a normal bath with a grown up in it, or maybe a sink
Bouncy chair, swing, ect ..... replace with...... your lap or a sling.
Toys ..... replace with...... a boobie

Helloo ladies, I know I'm early but I've been thinking about babies for a long time so already have some plans about stuff I'm going to use!

I'll be bedsharing at night but I already have a beautiful moses basket from OH's parents for when baby might go down during the day in the living room or what have you.
I am getting the wilkinet carrier, which I think is amazing for newborns, so secure and holds them in just the right way (watched my friend use it and she was very happy), won't get a pram for a long time.
I want to do cloth nappies, at least while in the house so that is going to be a big expense (probably my biggest), but I think I have chosen a few to have a go with for newborns :) will have some disposable in the cupboard as well.
And of course clothes!

Would quite like a playmat for when baby is older but might not buy it right away. Wasn't sure about the baby bath, but I have baths very regularly so I think it won't be an inconvenience to take baby in with me.

Car seat of course. Oh and I think the baby bouncers are really good, but I just want a simple one that isn't electric, just my personal preference.

It's really nice to share all my busy thoughts about it! :hugs:

Bedsharers - are you not scared of rolling on to baby or suffocating them?

Before I had my daughter I thought bed sharing was the scariest most irresponsible thing I had ever heard of. Then I HAD a baby, Lol. She wouldn't settle except with us, and went to sleep straight away in our bed. It's hard to explain but you just don't sleep the same way with a baby in your bed. Every day I'd wake up and wouldn't have moved an inch from where I went to sleep. I never had the most comfortable nights sleep though, so it was good for baby but not for me, lol.

I have a Moses basket for the beginning which I like because you can have it upstairs or downstairs. I do not want baby in my bed if I can help it because I'm still struggling to get my 4 y.o out! If baby doesn't take to the Moses basket ill have the cot with one side off next to my bed. I have a vibrating bouncer which I did use with LO but used a swinging chair more can't afford one this time and my other broke but he ended up sleeping in that from time to time in the day. I never used a travel cot and also have a big play pen which LO hated. Other things which I couldn't have done with out, muslin cloths and sleep suits.. Lots of both! X

I'm not worried about hurting the baby in my sleep or being unaware, no. It would go against every instinct in my body, I have been told by many mothers and fathers that you sleep in an alert state and there is also lots of evidence about baby sleeping better and it being good for the development etc.
I totally respect parents doing it in other ways and of course if either parent chooses to use any mind altering substance, like alcohol then baby must NOT be in the bed, because your natural alert state will be effected.

But yes, I'm not worried :) This is just how I feel personally and my views on it <3

Bedsharers - are you not scared of rolling on to baby or suffocating them?

I've co-slept with both of mine right from newborn. Your awareness when you are sleeping with baby is completely different than when your alone. I often wake up before they do, the slightess shuffle and I know.

It was worrying at first. The first couple of times I co-slept I had my OH stay awake and watch us to make sure I was safe.

I know there is some research (though I haven't read it) stating that breast feeders are safer sleeping with baby than formula feeders and the physical connection heightens awareness. I know there are some FFers out there who would disagree though! Also it needs to be the mummy that sleeps with the baby, not the daddy, not a baby sitter, as us mummies are much more aware...... after all that is how we are designed to sleep. If you think about every other mammal out there they all sleep with their babies.

Another fab post by Celesse!

I went to visit my friend and her two month old baby boy on Monday and she showed me her co-sleeper cot, I thought it was brilliant, they still have their own space but aren't completely removed :)

Can I ask a baby clothes question? There seems to be so many different 'basics' - sleeveless body suits, body suits with sleeves, vests whole sleep suits with legs etc - do I need a good selection of each? I'm due in May. I really haven't got a clue where to start!

Another fab post by Celesse!

I went to visit my friend and her two month old baby boy on Monday and she showed me her co-sleeper cot, I thought it was brilliant, they still have their own space but aren't completely removed :)

Can I ask a baby clothes question? There seems to be so many different 'basics' - sleeveless body suits, body suits with sleeves, vests whole sleep suits with legs etc - do I need a good selection of each? I'm due in May. I really haven't got a clue where to start!

I only really used vests with short sleeves for under clothing and sleep suits in the early days. The bodysuits without sleeves are good for hot weather but I'd stock up mostly with vests and sleep suits more than anything :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->