Tablet for a 1 year old?

Mushymilkfor2

Tabatha
Reaction score
My mil has offered to buy an amazon kids tablet for ds. He'll be 14 months around Christmas and I'm not quite sure it's an appropriate gift for a 1 year old. I don't even find it appropriate for a 5 year old, but she seems pretty adamant in purchasing it.

Should I just accept the gift or ask for something else instead? Any ideas on what else I could request that's similar in cost (approx $100) that would be more appropriate?

I agree with it not being an appropriate gift for a kid so young. My 8 year old doesn't even have a tablet but that's more because she's terrible with electronics and tends to break them all, lol. I would ask her for something else and hopefully she can understand (or at least respect) your views.

I agree, a tablet for a one yr old is crazy

My mil has offered to buy an amazon kids tablet for ds. He'll be 14 months around Christmas and I'm not quite sure it's an appropriate gift for a 1 year old. I don't even find it appropriate for a 5 year old, but she seems pretty adamant in purchasing it.

Should I just accept the gift or ask for something else instead? Any ideas on what else I could request that's similar in cost (approx $100) that would be more appropriate?

I agree not appropriate. What about something like an innotab instead more child friendly and will grow with him? X

I agree not appropriate. What about something like an innotab instead more child friendly and will grow with him? X

It would be one that is child friendly, but I hate the idea of him being glued to electronics. I know it's up to me to prevent that, or regulate electronic usage but I'd like for him to get older so I could at least be able to explain to him an idea of 30 minutes a day or something. As it is if he manages to grab my phone taking it back causes a huge meltdown I could only imagine what allowing him to use it and taking it away would do.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not being ridiculous, as my sil was all for it as well, saying he would grow into it. But she's allows her son (3 yrs) to play with her phone all the time. Her choice, so no judgement, but something I'd like to avoid as long as possible.

I'm in search for other toys/gifts that would be appropriate as well as something he would grow into to request in its place.

some nice wooden toys
trike
megabloks
slide
cozy coupe car

I'd get OH to deal with her and suggest he is far too young and it will be out dated by the time he is ready to really use it. There are tons of traditional toys for babies rather than a tablet.

If she is really insistent, put it in a cupboard and forget about it, I have been known to do that with things that I don't really want DS to have.

Way too young! We have a tablet that my older two use and Isabelle just bashes it! She never looks or shows any interest in it otherwise and wouldn't expect her to either! OT but can't believe your #2 is almost due!!! Eeeeeek. X

Way too young! We have a tablet that my older two use and Isabelle just bashes it! She never looks or shows any interest in it otherwise and wouldn't expect her to either! OT but can't believe your #2 is almost due!!! Eeeeeek. X

I know! It's coming up so quickly, I'm only mildly freaking out haha

My youngest is a similar age and I can't even imagine her using a tablet, she's far too busy emptying our kitchen cupboards and the dvd shelves lol! My almost 4 year old got a leap pad last xmas and enjoys playing on it and peppi games on OH's phone but I don't think I'd get her a 'proper' tablet just yet.

Yeah, I would much rather wait until he's at least a few years older. He definitely doesn't understand electronics week enough. I decided on asking for a nice sturdy wooden toy box instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->