Talk to me about cloth wipes

LoveCakes

Reaction score
I'm considering cloth wipes to save money and the environment

I worked out as I usually buy wipes when on offer I'll spend £40-£50 pa on wipes.

I had a quick look at the cheeky bums website and think it was about £6 for 10 but a starter kit was £36?! At that cost including washing it would be cheape to buy disposable!

We have the washing machine on every day anyway so could have a reasonably quick turnaround.

A few questions:
How many do you get through a day?
Does it take up a lot of room in changing bag with a clean and wet bag?
There are a few different material types, what is the difference?

If I like it I may consider cloth nappies but one step at a time...

Thank you sorry if I sound clueless!

I use cotton face cloths. White for bums and colours for faces. I use cloth diapers so the face and bum cloths get washed separately. I don't think you need anything but water to wash babies, even their bums!

It takes about 2-3 wipes to clean a bum (I definitely use more disposable wipes per diaper change).

Basically you need a cloth and water. That's it. I used baby wash cloths with Violet. When I was out, if I knew I'd be somewhere with papertowels, I'd just leave the wipes behind. Papertowels are a bit rough, but fine when wet. They do leave behind a bit of paper fuzz, but it's not harmful and can be wiped off later. Otherwise I'd just take a couple with me and a small bottle of water. For clothes, you could use cut up receiving blankets, baby wash cloths, old clothes cut up, et cetera. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive.

Can I follow?..... I think the idea of using cloth wipes for nappy changes is super easy, but I find I use wipes for lots of other reasons like hands, face, feet, spillages, noses etc...on baby, me, 5yr old, dog! I'd love to get out of the habit of using them, but it's hard!

I plan on using cloth diapers and wipes with #2. I'm just going to buy some cheap baby wash cloths, a spray bottle and use plain water :) Not going to buy any fancy dancy cloth wipes unless I think they're super cute or something :haha: I also use disposable wipes for EVERYTHING including wiping down my tables lol!! So it'll be an adjustment for sure...might still keep some around though :)

I use cloth wipes but I have gotten lazy and use disposable when there is a big mess. I figure it's keeping the major poops out of the washer. Once I finish these disposable wipes I am going to switch to paper towel because it's much cheaper than the wipes. I also use cloth diapers.

I also use a spray bottle but I use water, vinegar (it kills germs and bacteria), and a little baby soap (to make it smell and clean better).

We had better water when Violet was a baby. Maybe we should also mix a little apple cider vinegar in with the water.... Nah, it will probably be just a bit of warm tap water. Our water isn't spectacular, but it's not bad either.

When did cloth wipes become so complicated I wonder?

Do you guys have square cloths of toweling meant for washing faces? That is what I have always used for bum wipes. Stand up to a lot of washing, cheap, good size etc. It's what my mum used on me and my grandma used on my mum. Face cloths we call them.

I just wet them with warm water from the tap as needed. I will take a few wet ones with me in a plastic bag if I'll be out for a few hours.

When did cloth wipes become so complicated I wonder?

Do you guys have square cloths of toweling meant for washing faces? That is what I have always used for bum wipes. Stand up to a lot of washing, cheap, good size etc. It's what my mum used on me and my grandma used on my mum. Face cloths we call them.

I just wet them with warm water from the tap as needed. I will take a few wet ones with me in a plastic bag if I'll be out for a few hours.

My guess is when companies realized they can't just sell people wet face cloths for triple the price ;)

I just went to the material store and got some flannel and terrycloth and cut it up. I do have disposable ones too but they tend to dry (because I hardly use them) out and I use my spray I use with the cloth to wet it again. lol

Cheeky wipes are amazing!

We have the kit but really, the clean pot would be fine - I just put the dirty wipes in the bag with the used nappies and don't soak them as recommended.

I wash my nappies every other day and seem to wash about 12-14 wipes at the same time. They are way better / more efficient than disposables.... I use disposables when we are out and really notice the difference if I have to clean up a poo! I use 2-3 cheeky wipes or like 8 disposables!

Love them, highly recommend.

X

Oh and we have the bamboo, not tried the other types but I couldn't honestly say I'd expect them to be way softer than any others. I smoosh coconut oil into the water before soaking the wipes and they are lovely x

I just cut up old baby grows and hemmed them and use a Tupperware box when I'm out. So it has literally cost me nothing. I would not pay that money for wipes. I go through between 10&15 a day at a guess.

I just use baby face cloths and water :shrug: really cheap and easy to throw in wash with diapers!

I can't believe the amount of money and waste most people throw out the window for disposables...

Thanks ladies! I guess you can complicate anything :)

We have some towels that hubby ruined buts if with expanding foam ( but that's another story lol) so I may cut then up.

I have a top and tail bowl from using cotton wool for the first month so that will come in handy.

I might still use disposables out and about but definitely will give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->