Talk to me about eczema on the face

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Emma suddenly has patches around her mouth, and ler lower left eyelid is a big patch. It looks like she's been having a fight with another baby!

Anyway, because it's right around her mouth and eye, I'm unsure what is safe to apply to it? I've been using this all natural baby eczema stuff, but the doctor gave us all these paraffin and petroleum based things that i don't really want her to end up eating/getting in her eye. But would they work better. maybe?

The mouth stuff seems to flair up when she eats, but she doesn't rub it. However she rubs at her eye constantly.

:cry:

She has a very small patch inside her elbow too.

It's weird this just popped up now, I am used to eczema being something I might see on a small baby? She's 12 months.

Have you tried coconut oil? Alice would get that rash around her mouth if she ate anything with tomatoes in it, but she is 3 now and it no longer happens.

My three year old has started suffering in the past 6 months in identical places. We've swapped bath products to now use the child farm range which has helped and we are now using a cream from boots designed for children with eczema although I can't remember the name. This has worked really well in clearing it up. We did try coconut oil as previous post said but I felt that wasn't really helping to clear the problem properly just treat the dry skin

I have eczema on my face and have successfully used Weleda baby eczema moisturiser on my own skin. I think it's called white mellow or something, you can order it from healthpost.co.nz or get from health shops.

Be aware it stings a little when you put it on so she might not like it, but only lasts a minute. Also would take about a week to see a difference.

I also use Aveeno skin relief which is petroleum based but amazing - works better than any of the ones prescribed by the dr.

Petroleum/paraffin are actually not poisonous by the way, despite their origins. She won't get sick if she rubs some into her mouth, it's perfectly safe.

Weird question, I know, but what is her poop like? Around 18 months, mine developed weird soft, nearly odourless poop and red itchy patches on her face. She also had horrible eczema in her joints that flared up after she had HFMD and never went away. It took me well over a year to find a solution, but in the end, putting her on a probiotic cleared up her face and turned her poop back into normal poop. Never thought I would be so glad to smell shit lol!

For the eczema on her body, Salcura Bioskin Junior spray has been absolutely beyond incredible. She is now clear.

Thanks guys!

That's good to know that getting those things in her mouth/eyes is ok Zephram. I did try the emolient for about 8 days but when I apply it, the patches go bright red and she slaps at and rubs her face. The one we were given has some sort of soaping agent in it, it froths up in the bath, I wondered if it was irritating?

She's only ever bathed in plain water, till now, so no bath products, no shampoo has been used etc. She doesn't need it anyway as she still has no hair haha!

I did see an aveeno cream for eczema at the supermarket but it was $22 NZ or so and I'm nervous to keep buying all these things, if they don't work my partner will get cross with me, I've already spent over $50.

Yep I did try coconut oil first, it seemed to just turn the top layer of skin into a dry crust that flaked off, then it started all over again with looking red and sore.

I can see that tomato based foods make the bits around her mouth hurt, which sucks for her as she loves mexican dishes.

Her poo seems normal :). I'll try some different creams and see what helps, thanks!

Aveeno worked really well with my son (but not with my daughter) I know they are doing free sample bottlea just now although not sure which countries they are shipping too. maybe worthwhile looking to see if you could get one and try her with it. My son always gets patches on his face which are difficult to fix, but the paraffin based ones are good as they aren't easily washed away with dribbles/food. Another option is dabbing it dry, a simple moisturiser then a barrier such as vaseline over the top.

I get the big bottle of Aveeno Skin Relief from Pak n Save on special. It doesn't specifically say eczema on it or anything, it's in the tan bottle with pump and has a blue box around skin relief. It's honestly brilliant. It can be as little as $9.99 on special, usually around $13.99, but the big bottle lasts forever.

ETA it's in the adult body moisturiser section.

My 10 month old had bad eczema at one point, mostly on his forehead but also arms and legs. I bought the AVEENO Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream and it worked great! I still use it from time to time as he'll occasionally get a flare up and it keeps working well. Otherwise had tried other creams and this was definitely the best!

Also it's good to put it on her right after her bath, locks in moisture. I'd do that with my son. Just would pat him dry and then put the cream on the affected areas.

Thanks everyone! I'm not in the UK or USA and there are so many aveeno products that I am not sure which ones you guys mean. They sell quite a few in the supermarkets. Thanks Zephram, I will look at that one :)! I did used ro buy the small baby eczema one with the cream coloured bottle/tube and dark navy lid, but they changed the ingredients and now it doesn't say anything about eczema relief and has French writing on it. I used to love the stuff!

This is Emma's face at the moment, sorry for the unflattering picture Emma! It goes from this, to peeling off in small flakes, looks great for a couple of days then the red patches start around the mouth, and under her left eye where she rubs, then spread out to her jaw line and up her forehead. Then the cycle repeats. It went from looking not bad, to being angry and red so quickly. Is this typical?

I'm putting the paraffin based cream on about once every couple of hours and she's hating it, she thrashes and screams, just all the touching of her face. In this pic she has coconut oil so looks greasy.

The GP couldn't even say if it was eczema because of course her skin looked fine the day we went in!

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/IMG_20170823_210144.jpg

And this was late afternoon/early evening, it got a lot redder since then.

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/IMG_20170823_130320.jpg

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/a31cefiro/IMG_20170823_212004.jpg

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pictures, it is almost 9:30pm and I'm in bed.

Is it also normal for it to just suddenly happen after 12 months of age? She's never had a skin issue before then, ever! I know eczema is an allergic type thing and also linked to gut bacteria (right?), OH and I both get bad hay fever. Mines started already and in NZ it is still the end of winter. Thomas also gets hayfever and used to get dry patches of skin on his leg.

I would have thought Emma would get it as a baby and not have it suddenly show up overnight as a toddler. All toddlers I have met with it, got it as a weepy rash on the cheeks from infanthood

aww poor Emma youngest son suffered from eczema really badly on his face nothing seemed to work we tried lots of stuff including aveeno a few of the doctors the steroid cream cleared it up but then would come right back the only thing that worked was double base he grew out of it in the end stil get a few little patches now and then on his arms and legs x

I'm not sure if it's normal to just appear but I think it is it could be a reaction to something x

https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/sxydonna88/Mobile%20Uploads/67B4B2F7-998B-43F1-A8FE-4F19F53F3250.jpg
This was my sons.

My son has eczema behind his knees and on his tummy, it suddenly developed at 18 months. The only things that work properly are the paraffin based emollients such as diprobase and he has 1%hydrocortisone prescribed for when it's particularly bad. I'm all for gentle products but sometimes they just don't work.

One tip though is to put oats in her bath. I cut up an old pair of tights to make a little sack and put porridge oats in it, this then gets soaked in his bath and squeezed to release the milk. It's really cheap but works miracles.

My daughter also had those reddish patches over her face and even reached her body. It happened when the weather became terribly hot and we rushed her to the nearest dermatologist (as ordered by her pediatrician) to have it checked. Good thing it was treated. Maybe you should check what triggered the rash eruption and have your doctor check it out

The doctor doesn't give a crap, he didn't even want to prescribe the emolient cream stuff! Which you can buy over the counter but it is free if he prescribes it. He's a total knob.

It is the end of winter here, but there is a mix of strong winds from the sea, cold morning air, then wind and sun in the afternoons when we get Thomas from school (it's warm enough for me to be in a T-shirt). Then it gets cold again. Her skin looks worst in the evenings and dry too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->