Talk to me about poop?

leash27

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
I am getting increasingly concerned about LO and her pooping habits and just wondered what is the 'norm'? We are currently going through 10 to 15 nappies a day and almost every single one is wet and dirty! When I say dirty, it's almost like she has passed wind and followed through sometimes. In fact, sometimes I hear her do huge fart and then when I check her nappy it's dirty!

Her poop is always yellowy and runny, once or twice she has pooped during a change and it literally just drips out of her like water! I have told my MW all of this and she doesn't seem concerned at all and has assured me it is normal behaviour for a BF baby!

X

Thank you :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, how would you ever know if LO had diarrhoea?

X

sounds normal to me for a newborn. It will stay like that til about 6-8 weeks and then become less frequent and a bit less runny.

Diarrhea is mucous, runny and more clear, kinda watery with yellow stuff in it IME with a newborn.

Does it happen when you feed? My lo goes every feed as some have reflex that when tummy starts filling the bottom end empties. Can be annoying at night but just have to adapt to your babies pattern

Yep normal! We got through soooo many nappies in the first weeks! At 4 months we seem to average 6-7 wet ones a day now with a dirty one (full on explosion !) every other day!

This is very reassuring :) my 5 day old is the same x

Same here :) The first weeks were crrrrrazy! So many dirty diapers! And now she stills poops after every feed. In fact, when she wakes up in the morning and strains to poop, I just feed her and then here comes the poop and she is relieved immediately (me, not so much :D) As long as her poop is not green, no need to worry.

This is totally normal. It may or may not settle down as your LO gets older. My DD was exactly the same and is now at the other end of the scale and pooping every 6-10 days!

So happy to have found this thread after just changing dirty diaper #8 for today!

Ah surprisebub, we have constant dirty nappies here it's a good sign, plenty must be going in if lots is coming out. Xx

Sounds very normal.

Diarrhoea is different altogether from bf baby poop. Like a pp said it's often stringy and yellow mixed in with clear stuff, plus it will smell really bad. One time my LO had some that looked and smelled exactly like an off, raw, slightly beaten egg. It was horrible.

At least when your LO pooped during a change it just driped; my LO managed to fire it out in a three foot squirt that covered me, her clothes, a book case, the clean nappy of course and a bit of the carpet.

Thank you, ladies. good to know what to look for...! I will definitely remember the raw egg image. And good to know it would smell off, too.., here's hoping that it never happens :)

We have had the classic changing table burst... But that sounds rather spectacular, noon child! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->