Tea while pregnant?

koomy56

Reaction score
I am finding that tea is not recommended while pregnant. At least herbal teas. I suffer from IBS and constipation normally, and was thinking that I'd just drink Smooth Move regularly during pregnancy..apparently its advised not to.
Any tea drinkers out there? What do you drink? Hot water/lemon/ginger/peppermint?

I drink decaf orange pekoe tetley tea. :) And I drink this raspberry leaf tea that's supposed to be good for menstruating or pregnant women :)

I started researching teas i can drink and was having a hard time deciphering what i can and cant drink. I just decided i would stick to lemon and honey. Also with constipation, ive started having prunes, one serving daily. Its only been three days and its worked for me so far.

Also, i have heard from midwives red raspberry leaf tea is supposed to help you get ready to give birth by thinning out your cervix and is recommended only a week before birth? I could be wrong, but just passing along what i have heard.

I still drink a cup of regular tea a day... then I drink peppermint tea or water!

I was an avid tea/coffee drinker prior to this pregnancy --- morning sickness has turned me off to so much though! :wacko:

I don't think one cup of smooth move would hurt but it's probably not best to rely on it --- especially if it has licorice root/senna --- those should only be used over a short period and in moderation and are still not actually recommended.

I've researched the properties of quite a few different herbs (books regarding tinctures and tea) and have consulted two naturopaths/herbalists for further information in regards to what's "safe/beneficial" during pregnancy --- I concluded that dandelion tea, nettle tea, rooibos, peppermint, ginger and raspberry leaf (in the third trimester) are safe enough for me to drink.

Dandelion tea is a mild laxative and also contains many vitamins and minerals (whilst supporting the liver) --- something you may want to try. In conjunction to that, I'd recommend a diet of fruits and veggies (If you can keep it down! You could make a smoothie out of blueberries [lots of fiber], carrots, vanilla yogurt/frozen greek yogurt, milk substitute [almond etc], ground flaxseeds, orange juice/orange sherbet [naughty but tastes good lol], for example). Moderate exercise (again, if possible! I know how hard it can be) will stimulate bowel movement --- try walking after every meal if you can. There are yoga exercises that can also aid bowel movements (might be worth looking into any classes during pregnancy around your vicinity). Keeping hydrated is a necessity too... but can also be an obstacle if you're ill.

Warm lemon water (and soda omg lol) is what personally got me through most of my morning sickness. I've only recently begun introducing more drinks, including teas.

I've read that up to about 4 cups of tea a day is still within the limit for pregnant women, but obviously they don't recommend you have that every day without fail, all in modesty. I find that tetley decaf is really nice actually.

Also I'm sure it's raspberry leaf tea that you drink before birth, not normal raspberry tea (I would ask a MW coz I'm not 100% on that).

Also, i have heard from midwives red raspberry tea is supposed to help you get ready to give birth by thinning out your cervix and is recommended only a week before birth? I could be wrong, but just passing along what i have heard.

From what I've read and been told, its tea form is fine during the entire third trimester --- it has heaps of vitamins etc and helps to tone the uterus (although I've talked to women who drank it through-out their entire pregnancy and everything went fine for them [to the contrary I've also read stories where women had troubles with bleeding and believed it was due to that tea --- even though some sources claim it can prevent hemorrhage/miscarriage]).

I've only had the occasional cup of peppermint tea since getting pregnant. From what I have read, it's perfectly safe. It also can help your MS :)

I drink normal tea, have done will all my pregnancies. Some herbal ones though are probably a no,no not sure which ones though.

Oh my goodness, thanks you guys! I've got a stockpile of prune juice.
OnyxSnowfall, thank you you had a bunch of great advice. Never thought of doing yoga for a BM. haha
I cut coffee out cold turkey a few months ago, and drinking tea in the morning has been a nice substitute. I'll look into a few of these that are mentioned. I have so much to learn!

Funny because my doctor never once asked about caffeine consumption or me being a tea/coffee drinker. I hate coffee, but I love tea!

I'm not a huge fan of herbal tea, even though a true herbal tea is caffeine-free. I also used to drink loose tea as well. However, I'm conflicted with the data, so I decided to stick with one brand.

I drink PG Tips (England Imported tea) pretty much all the time, which has about 40mg of caffeine per serving. I used to have several mugs a day, and I've cut back to just one, RARELY two, and sometimes everyday, sometimes a few days apart, etc. I don't rely on it so much because it doesn't really contain enough caffeine to help me "stay awake".

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html

The celestial seasonings I get at Wal-Mart say right on them not to drink when pregnant. I remember a sleepy time one said not for pegnacy, and an energy one I think. As far as I rember looking at. Only picked up a couple I had been drinking before and googled ingredients...

I was so worried about having to cut back on coffee when I got pregnant cause I love coffee...turns out it wasn't that hard, cause the baby does not like coffee. At all. So cold turkey I went.

I've been drinking ginger and lemon tea to help with my morning sickness.

I just switched to decaf earl grey. Though have felt too queasy last few weeks to enjoy and only just started again.
Try raspberry leaf tea is a no til 3rd tri (32 weeks) then can have one cup a day. Each week can have an extra cup each day and work up... It tones the uterus and makes contractions more efficient. I swear it was what helped ds be born in just 3 pushes (no stitches)...

I drink normal tea(Tetley) but limiting myself to 3 cups a day.

If anyone is taking green tea, please don't take too much, and don't drink it a couple of hours either side of your prenatals, as it can inhibit Folate / Folic absorption, which increases the risk of a neural tube defect xx

Hot water, lemon, and ginger or mint have been pretty tasty!

I found out in 2011 that tea isn't good for pregnancy I'm a big tea drink mainly cold but I also like hot! This pregnant I confirmed pregnancy at 5 weeks gave up tea at 7 weeks! It's been hard I drink hot tea from time to time and found a sweet tea that taste amazing but doesn't have a ton of sugar like my normal tea! Then I read it's not good to take with baby aspirin! Water makes me sick I'm not drinking nearly enough so I have to figure something out!

I have switched over to decaf tea (Yorkshire tea is pretty close to tasting like regular tea) lemon and ginger, peppermint and hot ribena.

All fine in pregnancy, and all pretty tasty.

Ooooooo and the occasional decaf coffee :flower:

I just switched to decaf earl grey. Though have felt too queasy last few weeks to enjoy and only just started again.
Try raspberry leaf tea is a no til 3rd tri (32 weeks) then can have one cup a day. Each week can have an extra cup each day and work up... It tones the uterus and makes contractions more efficient. I swear it was what helped ds be born in just 3 pushes (no stitches)...

On of my co-workers was drinking red raspberry leaf tea about a week before she gave birth, needless to say she was crowning in the car. It was her first. Ill give it a whirl in the weeks leading up to my due date. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->