Tears During Second/Third/Etc. Births?

Just a thought - have you considered doing any perineal massage? It can really help elasticise the skin down there and might possibly help soften the scar tissue as well. You can either do it yourself or use an epi-no

I'm shocked with how many episiotomies everyone has had! I tore a little with my first, and the doctor even said episiotomies are rare now. And forcepts are almost unheard of.

Can you request they not cut you? :(

I'm shocked with how many episiotomies everyone has had! I tore a little with my first, and the doctor even said episiotomies are rare now. And forcepts are almost unheard of.

Me too! I thought they were practically unheard of. I've been following my midwife's group's statistics and they have had none in the year or so I've looked back.

I didn't request the first time because I also had the impression it was rare and I didn't think it was a concern. This time I'll definitely have a birth plan that explicitly states that I ONLY want an episiotomy if it's 100%, undeniably necessary. I also hope to have people in the room with me, like my mom, who can speak up about it.

I was told they're rare but I've met so many women who've had them that it makes me wonder?

They aren't rare in the usa unfortunately. Maybe less common than they used to be and there are OBs who know better and don't do them but sadly there are still way to many who do it as routine.

Just a thought - have you considered doing any perineal massage? It can really help elasticise the skin down there and might possibly help soften the scar tissue as well. You can either do it yourself or use an epi-no

I am hoping to do perineal massage when I'm further along and also trying to focus on yoga/exercise that targets the pelvic floor! I'd love an epi-no but they aren't available here in the US yet, unfortunately.

2nd degree tear with first baby
2nd and 3rd babies - no tear or cut. X

1st baby: episiotomy
2nd baby: 2nd degree tear
3rd baby: graze/minor 1st degree that required no stitiches

So mine got easier/better with each baby

All these encouraging stories are helping me reach a more positive state of mind! Thank you!

Just wanted to update this thread now that I have my own experience. To recap, I had a third-degree episiotomy and a resulting third-degree tear with my first. I just had my second son, 4.5 years after the first, and I ended up with a second-degree episiotomy and some second-degree tearing. I went natural and drug-free this time, no epidural. The baby's head wasn't coming out because the scar tissue from my first episiotomy wasn't tearing, so when the doctor asked if it would be OK for him to perform an episiotomy, I ended up saying yes ... I'd been in labor for 23 hours and just wanted things to be over with! I'm not thrilled with a second-degree but happy to have avoided another 3rd or 4th degree. I'm 8 days post-partum and the swelling and pain has gone down a lot, I'm feeling positive about my recovery so far.

Congratulations on your new little bundle! Thanks for updating, I had an episiotomy first time round too so this thread has been interesting for me. Mine took a very long time to heal and still aches from time to time but I will pop back in and update with the outcome of birth #2 in a few weeks time!

Sarah xxx

I had an emergency section with DS1 but when I had a VBAC for DS2 and DS3, I just had minor grazes which the midwife was shocked about because they were both almost 9lb!! I hadn't even done any perennial massage either. This time around, I do worry about anything more than a graze because I don't know if I should expect a lot of pain or not. Labour, birth and pooping myself doesn't scare more but tearing does.

I had an emergency section with DS1 but when I had a VBAC for DS2 and DS3, I just had minor grazes which the midwife was shocked about because they were both almost 9lb!! I hadn't even done any perennial massage either. This time around, I do worry about anything more than a graze because I don't know if I should expect a lot of pain or not. Labour, birth and pooping myself doesn't scare more but tearing does.

If you were able to have two nine-pound babies with only grazes, I think you'll be just fine! It seems like you get LESS likely to tear with each birth. I'm a little jealous that you're able to avoid tears so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->