teething necklace - feels plastic

Abigailly

Reaction score
... Does yours?

It feels like plastic, but it also does when you bite it whic is was worries me most.

do you mean amber necklaces? Mine doesn't really feel like plastic. But then again I have never tried biting it...

I've never tried biting mine either! There are a couple of ways to test if it's real amber or plastic:
If you dissolve as much salt as you can in a glass of water, amber will float.
If you heat a needle up and stick it into/onto it, plastic will smell nasty but amber will smell sweet like pine trees. Do that in a hidden place!
Amber won't be affected by a solvent like nail polish remover but plastic will either go tacky or the solvent will go the same colour as the plastic.
If you rub it with a cloth, amber will become statically charged and you should be able to use it to pick up tiny bits of paper or fluff.

I've never tried biting mine either! There are a couple of ways to test if it's real amber or plastic:
If you dissolve as much salt as you can in a glass of water, amber will float.
If you heat a needle up and stick it into/onto it, plastic will smell nasty but amber will smell sweet like pine trees. Do that in a hidden place!
Amber won't be affected by a solvent like nail polish remover but plastic will either go tacky or the solvent will go the same colour as the plastic.
If you rub it with a cloth, amber will become statically charged and you should be able to use it to pick up tiny bits of paper or fluff.

I reckon this is the best way of telling, the others aren't very foolproof.

Amber will have a plasticy feel - not the same feel as glass - does that makes sense?! It is tree resin that has hardened over time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->