Tell me your favorite things about having older kids!

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
For those of you who have school aged children/teens, what has been the most fun part for you?

I am sneaking over here from the wtt forum to try to get myself revved up about the upcoming changes to my life (oh, so scary! lol!). I know all kids probably have their moments when you wish you could lock 'em in the closet, but let's keep this thread positive. What do you LOVE about having older kids? Give me your lists!!

Thanks!

It's nice being able to play more "grown up" games with my DD (aged 7) like backgammon and chess.

It's nice when DD reads bedtime stories to her little brothers. She's just read them an Enid Blyton story (The magic snowbird) and I got to sit and listen, instead of it being me doing the stories all the time.

To be honest it's nice when she helps out around the house, (though admittedly she is a bit lazy), but if her and her brothers decide to get up and go downstairs on a morning, whilst I'm using the bathroom and getting dressed, she sets about making the cereal for the three of them, so they're sitting eating their breakfast by the time I get downstairs. So that's helpful.

Generally speaking it's nice being able to teach her things - history, science etc. It's not like having a baby or a toddler where you're teaching them very basic things, I'm talking teaching her about stuff that's actually kind of interesting from an adult point of view - Henry VIII, or the Titanic, or the solar system. Something you can kinda get your teeth into a bit.

babies and toddlers are cute, sweet, and cuddly...but in terms of interacting with them it can get a bit boring sometimes. I probably shouldn't admit that, but it does. It's very repetitive, and even the stuff you put on TV, or the books you read for a 2 year old is a bit mind-numbing for an adult. It gets a lot more interesting when you've got an older child.

Having interesting, stimulating real conversations. Not about Spiderman or how much fun jumping on the bed can be, but about real life, school, friends, religion, our country, history, etc. Love it!!

Having someone that can unpack the dishwasher every day!

Doesn't need me to hover over them to pick up their toys anymore!

Someone that can help (and not hinder!) hoovering.

Bathroom stays cleaner now than when they were toddlers, LOL.

Them helping with the younger ones! Looking after baby, helping toddler getting dressed or making him a sandwich, etc.

Someone that loves playing games (card, board, computer, etc.) with/against me, and is actually a challenge to play against!

We have a teenager (15yrs) and a LO (15mos)- so a big age gap. There are such great things about both stages tbh- but you asked about older... so here it is. I love that I can go get pedi's and do more adult (but girly) things with my oldest. We can actually sit and have adult conversations! Well, more so than 15mos babble. LOL. I love how independent she is- and how easy she is. I know right? An easy teenager?! But truly- she is a joy 90% of the time ;) It's so great watching her grow into this wonderful young woman. I'm very proud!

Also- similar as above ^^^ as my oldest can actually help with our LO. I trust her to watch her for a while so I can go take care of things for a bit and not worry about dragging LO around the house with me :) She also has her own chores and doesn't need me to pick up after her 24/7- sometimes, LOL, but not too often.

Oh, and when I tell her No- she knows exaclty what I mean and listens! HAHA

They ask a lot of questions and you get to teach them things which I love.

You can have a proper conversation with them,about their day,likes/dislikes,friends etc.

They have opinions and make observations and have a different way of looking at things.

They will sit and watch the soaps with me lol instead of tweenies!

They like to look after their little brother/niece and generally care for younger people.

My daughter gets cool toys for christmas that I get to play with her like jewellery making and wooden dolls house hahaha

My little girl is 4y 2 months and i honestly love this age. The temper tantrums seem to be a thing of the past, she is happy, sociable little girl who is a joy to be around. She has her own interests and tastes in things, she helps me do thing round the house or with her brother. Im dreading her going to school in Sept :(

Things i love about having an older son :

he dresses himself , gets himself showered etc

he looks after his sister by helping me get her shoes or coat on etc

you can have good conversations

you can take them to the cinema to see something that is not a cartoon

He reads me stories / books and also reads to his brother and sister

You do not have to watch him constantly

He has a decent attention span so we can play board games , card games or whatever

There is so much more , My son is 7 and it is a lovely age , all ages are lovely in their own way though , i have many positves about my 2 year old for exaple.

Even if I always treated my kids as little persons (not just babies), now that I have older kids (7 ans 9), you can really interact as you would with an adult.
They will not understand everything, of course you have to use easier vocabulary sometimes, but it's incredible what's going on in their head, the thoughts they have the logic :)

And they can play older games :p
I play Magic : The Gathering with my DDs ^^

They understand better when you have a rough day, they help you..

When they do something wrong, it's so much easier to deal with the problem!
As they understand!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->