Telling work?

Heidi

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
How soon after finding out your pregnant should you tell your work?
I work with allot of young girls and my supervisor is younger than me so I'm pretty sure it will get out. In my contract it says 'as soon as possible'.
I'm also going to be very wary as my niece was still born last year and no one knows about it so i wouldn't want to tell people until I'm at least three months gone, i would obviously need time off for appointments and stuff, working with a bunch of gossiping girls is tricky lol Any advice?

You have to tell them by week 26 if you want to claim maternity pay. It helps to tell them sooner in case you feel like shit and need time off! Also if you want to go to antenatal classes during work time (which you can do without losing pay or having to make up hours).

I had three appointments in the first 12 weeks, one where the dr confirmed my bfp and then a midwife appointment at 10 weeks followed by the 12 week scan so it shouldn't be too hard to get out of work for them if you need to and don't want to tell work.

If you're with a bunch of gossiping girls though they'll probably be speculating about any symptoms you might have anyway though!

x

as people have said, you dont really need to tell them until 25 weeks, but obv you get time off for appointments and that. obviously with your niece, you dont want to say anythin til 12 weeks, but by law your manager cant tell anyone when you do tell her, confidentiality and all that. so say at 12 weeks you tell her and it gets out, you can have her done for it!!

I told my immediate manager and colleaugues after my 12 weeks scan, but didn't submit my formal written notification until week 25.
I think it depends on the type of job you do, as your employer needs to carry out a special risk assessment of your role, and alter/adapt it if needed, to ensure you and bubs health and safety.
xx

I didnt tell work until i was 18 weeks!! but they had already guessed by then!!

x

I told my work when i was like.. 8 weeks LOL. I thought I was further gone though. Any particular reason as to why you want to keep it a secret for long? I know there's a high risk of MC up until week 12 but after that you have the majority chance of the baba being okay. Personally, I loved talking about babies with my collegues :)

I'm an agency worker, I told the staff at my placement after my 12 week scan and just told my agency last week. I'll be writing my formal notice at some point around 22 weeks so we can sort out maternity pay.

It's up to you though, everyone's circumstances are different.

I told my line manager early as I was feeling really crap I felt he needed an explanation as to why I was ill. I told my main boss after 12 week scan though.

I told my boss "unofficially" a couple of days after i got my BFP ... I know you dont HAVE to tell your employer until quite late on but if you feel there are certain aspects of your job that will need to stop or be changed as they put you at risk then you should consider informing them sooner!!

I told my line manager, shortly after getting my BFP. I had to for safety reasons.

Ok thank you for all your help, its just good to know as its one thing that I'm worried about when the time comes, i'm sure i would tell every one straight away if it wasn't for what i went through with my sister and my niece.

thanks again girls xxx

I've decided to wait until after the 12 week mark before telling work. I have my 1st midwife appt on 7th October and have told porky pies to work to get away for it.

I've only been in my job 4 weeks, but luckily I moved internally in the company so am still entitled to mat pay etc.

Clartylou x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->