Temping Issues

Shelley71

Reaction score
I'm just full of problems this week. Here is another thing I've been thinking about:

I always wake up once a night, usually between 3 and 4am, sometimes even 5ish. I just wake up and go back to sleep, but then sometimes I have to use the bathroom. What I started doing was taking my temp right then when I woke up. Then, if I had to pee, I went after the temp.

I am starting to wonder though, if it would just be best to go back to sleep (after peeing, if necessary) and temping only at my morning alarm. I'm just worried about that "3 hour block" of sleep thing. It wouldn't be 3 hours if I did that. Sometimes, it would be less than two.

My temps are never at the same time the way I do it now, and I'm starting to think I'm shooting myself in the foot, temp wise.

I'm also thinking about temping vaginally next month, but I'll still have the wake time problems, regardless.

How do you guys handle broken sleep?

If I wake up early like that and know I won't get at least 3 hours I take my temp then. It is probably more likely to be accurate then than at the later time with less sleep. You can also take temps at both times and see if they are very different and chart both.

I rarely take my temp at the same time and though it will jump around a little I still see a significant shift in the temp range after ovulation. You may get a few stray high or low spikes temping at different times but overall it should still give you and idea of what your cycle is doing.

I don't worry about it because I am just attempting to see is if there is a biphasic pattern over time...the thermal shift to confirm ovulation. I try to take it at morning alarm time, even if I get up at night to use the bathroom. If I get up a bit earlier or later, I will adjust accordingly....+\~ (.1) for each half hour. I do get the ovulation dip, so I look out for that, as well....Oh, and I don't even bother temping the first 10-12 days...I am also guilty of skipping weekends...like to sleep in....Wow, I guess I am a bit of a slacker...

I was more diligent about it for the first 3 months, though...

I do get the ovulation dip, so I look out for that, as well....Oh, and I don't even bother temping the first 10-12 days...

that's interesting. I always wondered if you can temp only around Ov. Can you still see the dip? that would be the only reason for me to temp, to confirm Ov.

Yes, I still see the dip because after charting my entire cycle for a few months, Give or take a few weekends, I noticed that I was fairly 'regular' so I counted 5 days back from my earliest positive OPK to be on the safe side, and now I just start temping accordingly.

However, if you make any changes, I would give yourself some extra leeway. I started taking 50 mg of a B complex and that moved up my O day by 4 days! I expected a change, but not that big of a change...

Yes, I still see the dip because after charting my entire cycle for a few months, Give or take a few weekends, I noticed that I was fairly 'regular' so I counted 5 days back from my earliest positive OPK to be on the safe side, and now I just start temping accordingly.

However, if you make any changes, I would give yourself some extra leeway. I started taking 50 mg of a B complex and that moved up my O day by 4 days! I expected a change, but not that big of a change...

B Complex? Can you be more specific? I'm sitting at CD21 with no O. My CBFM has registered high two days in a row, so I'm curious if I'm going to get a peak tomorrow, or another high. My temps are showing me nothing. But, if I end up Oing, say, on CD24 and I get my 28 day cycle, then then my LP is FOUR days. Um, that won't work. So, I am definitely interested in anything that could move up my O!!

Sure...check out these links:

B complex
https://www.amazon.com/KAL-Folic-Lo...ef=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1302833458&sr=1-1

https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-to-conceive/387005-b-vitamins-poll.html

Sure...check out these links:

B complex
https://www.amazon.com/KAL-Folic-Lo...ef=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1302833458&sr=1-1

https://www.babyandbump.com/trying-to-conceive/387005-b-vitamins-poll.html

Thanks!! I'm going to look into these once I figure out what's happening with this month. Honestly, I'm just ready for AF so I can start over. Either that or a VERY BIG surprise BFP. Haha!

ok, i think i might try that!

yes, I know, I took B6 and B complex for two months and it also changed my cycle, although not as much as yours!

I would say just do the temp when you wake up, I dont think getting up for the bathroom would make THAT much difference.
Im temping just to confirm ovulation after my LH surge and hopefully see when my temps go higher at the end of the cycle. Im think being really strict makes it stressful, so not taking it tooooo seriously.
good luck!

My sleep is quite erratic, and sometimes my BBT is too but I can still see a general pattern! I basically temp when I first wake up after 5 a.m. - even though my usual time is 6-6:30. If I wake up before then I just go back to sleep. But if I wake up as late as 5 I might not be able to get back again. I've seen high temps on days when I took it early and low temps on days when I took it late (contradictory to the standard "adjustment" rule) so I don't adjust as I don't think its necessarily any more accurate.

Some days I'll temp right after waking up from a nightmare so there's a lot of variability. However if you aren't sure if your temp might be off because you took it at a different time, record this info on your chart somewhere (FF lets you enter the time), so if you are going back to analyze afterward you can know why you might have some anomalies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->