TENS machine and birthing pool

anchor08

new mum!
Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question...but oh well, I don't know!

Is it possible to use a TENS machine and also labour in water? Maybe not at the same time? Or do you basically have to choose one or the other? I'd love to hear about any of your experiences and recommendations.

You can use them both but definitely not at the same time!

This is my plan:

TENS: 1-5cm
POOL: 5cm - after birth

Sounds like a good plan Sue. You cant use TENS in water! X

Thanks ladies, I was figuring it would be something like that. Definitely no TENS in the water, LOL!

Has anyone done this? Is the TENS machine worth it or would you skip it and just go with water? Or vice versa, how long into labour does the TENS really help? I know everyone's different, but would love to hear some of your experiences. Thanks so much.

My midwife has told me as soon as the niggles start, TENS machine on! It is most effective when started in early labour so it can effectively block the nerve pathways as the contractions get stronger.

It is not recommended that you get into a pool before you are in active labour (4cm) as it can slow labour down. Even at 5cm when I plan to get in contractions may stall for a while due to the complete relaxation but then come back with force.

I think most people could manage early labour without the TENS but I'm not going to chance it. I want to make sure I'm relaxed throughout.

I also know I definitely want a waterbirth, so I wouldn't progress myself with just TENS but sure it can be achieved.

I personally think to power through for me will be mind over matter. I'm built for this, I trust my body, I trust my baby.......and it's going to end eventually and it won't kill me :thumbup:

I've heard for some women they work and some it doesn't.

Like sue said it needs to be put on as soon as labour starts as it takes a little while to fully work with you're body.

I'm pretty much going to keep it on until the pain gets to the point where I don't think the Tens is working and then use water.

I have read they can take you upto 7cm before becoming useless

I had a water birth last week. Mine was a relatively quick labour of 6 hours. For me the order went: waters broke, had a bath, got out and moved to knealing on a load of cushions over ball wearing TENS....i found it fab, esp the boost button during a contraction. Contractions still hurt alot but it was a fab distraction. Removed tens and got in pool at 4cm, had Aiden about 1 -2 hours later in the water. I progressed really quick on my knees in the pool.

And I most definately believe state of mind and awareness of whats happening/ going to happen is really important. I was excited about labour, I had no fear and knew my body could cope. Yeah, it hurt more than I expected but progressed so quick I think partly due to preparing my body, positions during labour. Although we do have fast labours in the family. I will post my full stor in announcements soon. For me, labour was perfect despite any pain :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->