Tens machine?

Mrs_Bump

Daniel's mum
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here used a tens machine during labour. Last time I used gas and air but I've been advised to avoid it this time as it made me very sick and dehydrated in labour, so tens seemed like a good option to consider.

I haven't but have heard such great things about it that I'm going to give it a shot!

I loved mine! I had a 15hr back to back labour, but refused an epi, so used this pretty much the whole way. Was it like pain relief, no, did it help, yes. If anything just concentrating on sending the pulses up when in a contraction was a small way of taking my mind off it. I'll deff use it this time too. Also used gas and air but mainly for something to concentrate on, it didn't do anything pain wide and made me sick!

A lot of people love them, I personally didn't like it, felt like severe pins and needles and it was horrible for me, I hate pins and needles though lol

I used one last time and it was great. You have to start using it as early in labour as possible to get the maximum benefit as it blocks the nerves carrying the pain signals. I did not know how much benefit I was getting from it until they took it off me to attempt an epidural (I was being induced and they said to have one as they were ramping up the induction medication- in the end they sat me up to do it and I went from 5 to 10cm in 30mins so it never had time to work).
Anyway this time they are not bloody taking my TENS off me!! I will use that and gas and air.

I loved mine. I put it on early and kept it on until I went in the pool.

I'm using one this time around too. With DS I had 16 hour back labor and needed heat on my back the whole time. This time around I think the TENS machine will help with that. But I heard to not use it right away. To use it once labor really kicks in and to turn up the intensity during a contraction than back down.:shrug:

I'm going to try it. Just need to find a place that rents them.

I used it for my first labour as I was induced. The problem is you don't know how labour would be without it but it did seem to help. I thought about using one last time but I didn't need it, the first good few hours weren't too bad it was only the last two or so hours that I found really painful. I think it's good if you're being induced or something as often that means you can go in water etc.

Had a boots one with first...I had it on for 5 mins max before it annoyed me so much I told hubby to rip the pads off.

With second I hired an elle tens machine (has boost button). It was amazing and I pushed out a ten pound baby using that and gas and air

I have bought one to try when I go into labour.

For some of you ladies it may be worth while considering buying one instead of hiring one. Places near me hired them for a 6 week period for around £25. But I found the same one to buy on Amazon for £24 instead and thought I'd easily be able to sell it on eBay afterwards to get a bit of money back making it a cheaper option to buy rather than rent.

I did Mrs Bump with DS used it the whole way through from the beginning really helped me to focus on pressing the button lol and then had Gas & Air (which I know you can't have) once I was in delivery suite with the TENS

I fully intend on using it again :thumbup:

I had one that I bought for my first labour, didn't find it helped at all to be honest I took it off when I got to the hospital and never bothered with it again it just annoyed me! I still have it upstairs but highly doubt I'll be using it again, considered it with my second but didn't bother in the end. I think it's down to preference just like other pain relief, some swear by gas and air but I can't stand the stuff makes me sick. Everyone's different so by all means give it a shot but go in open minded and don't expect miracles lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->