The arrival of Freddie Baxter (induced @ 41+1) LONG!

L

Laura12355

Had a sweep on 6th April (6days over) and midwife said it wasn't looking very likely that I'd go in to spontaneous labour and so booked my induction for 42 weeks. After my sweep I noticed that I wasn't feeling my LO as much as usual so on the mornin of the 8th I rung the MAU to tell them my concerns and they asked me to go straight in. I wasn't too worried as I'd been before and assumed everything would be fine.

When I got there they strapped me to the CTG monitor and the midwife said she needed a doctor to check it before she'd let me go so she took the print out and when she came back she said that his heart rate was dipping slightly and seen as though I was 8 days over it was best to induce me then and I needed so stay there and wait for a bed to become avaliable on labour ward so OH ran off to ring everyone and let them know what was happening and to get his friend to go and pick up my bags.

After waiting for about 45 mins they transferred me to labour ward and explained that if they weren't able to break my waters I would need a pessary inserted and I would be left for 24 hours while it worked but luckily when they examined me at 2pm I was 2cm dilated and she managed to break my waters quite easily which was the strangest feelin ever! It felt like I was wetting myself but there wasn't anything I could do about it, she also gave me another sweep to hopefully speed things up a bit.

They left me then for an hour and a half to see if I was contracting on my own but they were only very mild and really irregular so they gave me the hormone drip to get things going. At about 5pm the contactions were becoming quite uncomfortable so I put on my TENS machine and took 2 co-codamol which helped a lot but unfortunatly not for very long. I was tired and in a lot of pain and had enough so I opted for the epidural and had that put in at around 8pm.

After the epidural I became a much nicer person according to OH & my mum. It was around this time that the night shift took over and so a different midwife came on who was the most annoying woman I have ever met in my life! It took her ages to explain anything and kept butting in my conversations.

I was examined again at around 10.30 and was 5cm which I was really pleased about because I wasn't in any pain and I was getting somewhere. But at about 12 I started feeling the contractions and they told me the anesthetist was in theatre but he would come and top it up when he'd finished.

The pain just kept getting worse and worse until I wasn't able to breathe through them anymore so I tried the gas and air which after 3 puffs made me throw up loads! When I was next examined at about 1.30am I was 8cm and it was too late to top up my epidural so I just had to cope. It was horrible but an hour later I was examined again and told it was time to push! After about 45 mins babys heart rate dropped again so a doctor was called in and he decided to do a ventouse delivery but I had to get him out in 3 contractions or it would be forceps. So they turned up my drip and got everything ready and on the 2nd contraction decided i needed an episiotomy so gave me some local anesthetic and I didnt feel it at all. On the 3rd contraction I hadn't quite managed to get him out but was so close they decided to let me carry on and I got him out on contraction no4. So He was born @ 3.40am on 9th April.

His apgar scores were 9 and 10. He lost a point at birth for being slightly purple.

They then let me have skin to skin for an hour and I gave him his 1st feed. It was absolutly amazing. They then took him away to get him dressed and weighed and he was a whopping 7lb15.5oz!! Little fatty.

We had to stay in hospital for a week because my blood pressure went up and he was jaundice but we're home now and loving being a little family :)

Well done if you manged to read all this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->