The Arrival of Olivia, Isabelle Crouch - Warning very honest account of events

Essex1stbaby

Reaction score
All,

(This is long)

I was due to have an induction on Monday 12th at 8:30am but on Saturday 10th around 11am I woke up after feeling very achy the day before with a very bloody mucousy show in my knickers and 1 intense period cramp. I knew it would be the start of something as I felt almost a bit shaky on my feet and more vunerable if that makes sense.

About an hour later I started feeling braxton hicks but more painful they were in the days before they were coming about every 10 minutes. As I was 11 days late at this point I couldn't quite believe it could be the start so i got my partner to take me for a walk to make sure they continued and to make sure they were real. It was about 1pm at that point. About 2pm I got back and they were more intense and coming every 7 minutes. I put my tens machine on and thought it would be a while so I tried to get as comfy as possible whilst I was watching TV. by 3:30pm they were coming every 5 minutes, again I thought this was too quick but they were lasting about 30 seconds and they were becoming quite painful. I had taken no meds at this point. I decided to get in the bath as I was progressing quite quickly. I literally got in and about 10 minutes later they were becoming REALLY painful so I got out put the tens back on and we decided to go to the hospital.

The journey there was quite tough, I kept thinking this is painful so I must be quite far along. I got to the hospital kept my tens on and was given a bed in the pre labour ward. They were coming every 3 minutes at this point and were getting really strong and i was in alot of pain. They left me for an hour then examined me about 5:45pm and I was only 2 cm dilated but the pain was unbearable felt like I was being torn into two and I could not believe that was all I was dilated to. They said they would give me some pethadine as it was clear I was struggling to cope. It took an hour and a half to get this to me for some reason (grrrrrr!!!) and the pain was literally excrucitaing like I was being opened up from the inside. So I got Pathadine about 7:15pm I was shaking with pain and sicking up blood at this point. I was left there til 10pm the pethadine took the egde off slightly but I was in so much pain and my contractions were coming irregularly like 3 or 4 in a row then a 2 minute break then 3 or 4 in a row again. All I could do was be sick and all i could see was blood. I got examined again and I was 5cm so they took me to the delivery suite and said I could have an epidural. The midwife who was with me before the anesthatist arrived kept telling me to move in to certain positions and to breathe I told her I couldn't the pain was so bad I could only lay on one side and I could only lift up one of my legs because the pain was stopping me. I had to count myself to ten at each contraction and I actually thought there was no way I was going to make it through because the pain was so bad I was having panic attacks one after the other. The doctor came to give me an epidural at 12am, because I could not sit still and get into the right position it took an hour to get the needle in and 16 attempts I have 16 holes on my back!

After the epidural I felt 1 million times better, I could still feel the contraction at 99% but only the pressure. 3am they broke my waters as I was 7cm there was merconium in them. I and baby was being monitored but our heart rates were the same, they tried to clip the baby's head to monitor her and they tried with two different instruments and could not pick up heart beat.

I thought that there was something seriously wrong, doctors came in, they checked me then got the scanner out and than got they found her heart beat. Thank god.

Labour then continued to 7:30am I was still throwing up blood constantly even though I had anti sickness drugs they checked me and I was still the same dilation :( so they put me on hormones to progress the labour, about 10:30am I started to feel pain again, had a top up of epi but was in more pain. My epidural needle had come out. I had to have it put in again and the pain came back thick and fast and was unbearable again. I was numbed again and checked and was 8 cm. By 3pm I was fully dilated and left until 4pm to mobilise to get her to move down the canal. I felt her completely change position and drop my tummy looked so weird so I knew I was on my way.

4pm I started pushing, With each contraction I pushed but she was taking her time, everytime I pushed she moved down then moved back up, she then changed position and I had been pushing an hour when the doctors came in, they turned her whilst I was pushing and the epidural was wearing off, the pain was starting to become unbearable again. I kept pushing but she wasn't coming and so they decided to use the ventouse. They tried 3 times and she had changed position again and she was becoming distressed so I had to go to theatre. By this time I was in agony, panicky and scared.

I was then administered the spinal bloc but it literally took my breath away I was numb from chest down wards, my breathing was shallow and I was really scared I couldn't breathe, although I could still feel my tummy so didn't want them to start. they then talked about general anasthetic because I was distressed but tummy started to feel numb so they operated and took alot of time tugging around, she let out a cough and a cry and it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. My partner said she was here and they then showed me her it was amazing I burst into tears she was amazing. They had torn some tissue trying to get her out as she was so nearly out vaginally and so I had a postpartum hemorrhage.

I was in recovery a long time because of this and finally went up to the ward at midnight.

I can honestly say it was the most traumatic time of my entire life, and the the pain was honestly excruciating. (NO EXAGGERATION)

I am still in so much pain, have odema in my legs, now on iron tablets because of the blood loss and I still can't got for a no 2.

In spite if it, Olivia is the most amazing baby I have ever seen and I am truely besotted I lover her with all my heart. She weighed a heathly 8lbs 9oz when born and she came out without a scratch on her.

I have attached a pic.

Thanks ladies for the last 9 months and good luck! I wish I knew how bad the pain was going to be - be prepared!

xx

Attachments

• Olivia.jpg
    Olivia.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 66
I don't see the pic?
Congratulations on having a sweet healthy baby girl.
I'm sorry you had such a rough time. :(
But you should be very proud now.

Congratulations, well done you! And thank you for being very honest, I truely believe these reality checks are really gunna help some of us! Heal well and good luck for the future :)

thanks for your honesty i'm getting induced next thursday and i've very interested in everyone's stories. your lo is lovely :hugs:

congratulations hun :hugs:
sorry you had such a hard time, i had a traumatic labour experience ending in c-section with my son.
i wish u a speedy recovery, she looks beautiful

Congratulations! And as others have said thank you for being honest.
Sorry you had such a hard time of it but its so reassuring to know u still feel it was all worth it :)
And baby Olivia is beautiful x

congratulations!what a scary time!!but a great result.how much blood did you lose?did they consider a transfusion?i lost 2litres and they transfused cos i was sooooo pale tired and very sick they decided i needed it

Oh Christ you did have a rough time! Hope your recovery is quick now!

Sorry you had a tough time but congratulations on your gorgeous Olivia x

Huge congratulations and well done! Wishing you a speedy recovery :)

Congratulations! So sorry it was all so traumatic, you are very brave and should be really proud of yourself!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->