The attempted vbac resulting in section of baby Oscar!

blake12336

Reaction score
So I woke up around 3am on Tuesday 2nd January having contractions. Prior to this i'd had absolutely no signs of labour starting despite being 6 days overdue. They were coming every 10 minutes or so at this point so I had a bath then as I live about 40 minutes drive from the hospital decided to go in around 7am ish.

I was examined and told I was 1cm, so the midwife gave me a sweep and sent me home. I laboured at home all day until the contractions were around 3 minutes apart and I was struggling to cope with no pain relief.

Just as we were leaving for the hospital, I had a contraction and felt a small gush, my waters had broken and my plug had gone too! Once in the car, every contraction I lost some more of my waters, so by the time I got to the hospital I was soaked!

On arriving, the midwife examined me and I was still only 1cm, which was so disheartening as I'd laboured all day and it'd done nothing! She agreed to keep me in for four hours to see if I'd make progress. I started on gas and air which helped to take the edge off the contractions but they were still extremely painful. I had some diamorphine to let me get some sleep in between contractions as I was exhausted at this point!

On my birth plan, I'd wrote that as I really wanted a vbac that I wanted to absolutely avoid an epidural, but when they offered one when I was finally 4cm at around 6am the next day I couldn't refuse as I was so tired. They then wanted to start me on sintocin as my contractions were really strong but irregular, and baby was becoming distressed. I said no, as with my firstborn the exact same happened and I ended up with an emergency c section which was a really negative experience.

Instead, I asked if we could just have a c section and for it to not be rushed/emergency, as I wanted a positive experience this time whether it a vbac or not.

They agreed, but said I'd have to wait as it wasn't an emergency. At around 8.30am they took me through to the operating room and examined me one last time and i was still only 5/6cm after 30 hours of labour! By 9.20am my little Oscar Paul was here! Weighing a whopping 10lbs exactly. The surgeon wanted to show us the placenta as apparently it was the biggest he'd seen and it wouldn't fit in the metal dish!

As much as I wanted a vbac, my c section was extremely positive, they talked me through each step and I got to see my baby and have skin to skin after, something which didn't happen with my first.

The midwives were all amazing and I couldn't thank them enough. And I was back home the following morning! Although I'm currently on antibiotics as my wound is infected. But all in all I couldn't be happier with how it went :)

So glad you had a positive experience and become to the world baby Oscar 😊 10lb...wow!

I was completely shocked when they said 10lb!! I'd been having growth scans due to my first being 9lb and they said he was average size! Just goes to show they can't really tell.

Due to his size he had to have his blood sugars checked every 3 hours for the first day and extra observations but he's just perfect:)

Congratulations! Wow, what a good weight! :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->