The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures

Piper84

Reaction score
This is a really interesting article about babies in Nordic countries being put outside to nap in minus temperatures, wrapped up warm of course: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

It reminded me of another article about dressing children for the weather, comparing Italian and British attitudes: www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15987082

My German MIL is always complaining I haven't dressed LO warmly enough. I think Germans wrap their kids up in far too many layers and LO overheats quite quickly anyway.

I remember Finnish friends of my parents going apeshit when they realised their daughter and I (we were about 7 at this time) were playing outside without coats in the Autumn.

I'm more worried about LO being too warm than too cold. What's the attitude where you are?

My mum is Italian so that second article made me laugh :rofl: she's obsessed with scarves!! every time they see lo on Skype there is a mini meltdown if he's not wearing socks :haha: wet hair gives you a cold, sitting on a cold floor gives you a cold - it's a never ending list! :haha:

I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle-ish, until they're old enough to communicate properly but after that I would rely on the child to say if they're hot/cold.

The sock thing always starts a debate with my MIL! Even in the summer:dohh:

People do seem to overdress babies and children here (Finland), when Maria was a baby she would be wearing much less than other babies I saw but then she has always tended to overheat easily so she needed much less layers. But now she's a toddler I find myself conforming more to the parents around me - started putting her in her snowsuit not too long after other kids were in their snowsuits but she probably doesn't have on as much layers underneath.

She was also a baby that napped in sub-zero temperatures - the only time she napped well was outside in the snow! I could get 3 hours out of her easily if it was colder than -10.

I find it hard to keep anything on my LO, he hates hats and gloves, takes his shoes and socks off the minute I take my eyes off him. I think it's a mother in laws job to insist they're always cold!

I see a lot of babies here wrapped up in a million blankets and sometimes think is that even necessary?

I don't tend to wrap LO up like other mothers I have seen doing here, but haven't been told "isn't she cold" or whatever.

My LO however does seem to sleep better in her pram when it's cold than when it's warmer.

The sock thing always starts a debate with my MIL! Even in the summer:dohh:

Lmao! My (definitely british) mil always takes babies socks off! Apparently their feet need to breathe, even in january...

That is interesting, i could understand a paranoia if you lived somewhere with -10 degree sort of temperatures! I do tend to worry about overheating more though.

I always worried more about overheating. I just went by the rule that babies only need one extra layer of clothing than you do. So if I had a top and a jacket, Madeline would have a vest a top and a coat. Obviously I would add blankets if it was and we were out, but I was just so paranoid of her getting too hot. I do like to see babies with a hat on though - summer or winter.

You see some babies and they are wrapped to within an inch of their lives, with little rosy red cheeks. I always just want to break them free!!

I remember coming home from hospital with Madeline. It was the middle of the afternoon on a warm day in June. We walked into the house to be hit in the face by a wall of heat. It was like stepping off a plane on holiday. DH had cranked the heating up to full, and had left it on all day - "just to warm the place up". Bless.

I've always had Lucas slightly underdressed rather than overdressed (which drives my Mum mad! Whenever she takes him out while I'm at work I'll get him back and spend half an hour peeling off layers :lol:). I read that article at work and ever since I've just really wanted to have someone wrap me up and put me out for a nap in the snow, it looks so lush :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->