The Birth of Ava Kelly 20/05/2010

3boys

Reaction score
hey guys, i thought i better write this up before Ava starts walking. Its funny because when i was pregnant i used to come over here to read the birth stories and couldnt wait to write mine up but now that shes here im so busy looking after here that i never seem to have a chance to do this.

Anyway Ava was born on 20/05/2010 at 38wks gestation weighing 7lb 11oz.

It all started on Tuesday 18th I was came back home from visiting a friend and got an awful pain in my lower back. I was doubled in 2 with pain and my hubby was rubbing my back trying to make it go away. Then I started getting some mild contractions and the back pain eased. We timed them for about 2 hrs and they were coming every 7 mins but werent too painful. As we live 40 mins from the hospital and my last baby came in 1hr 20mins my hubby and i decided to go to the hospital to get checked out so we rang a friend who came over to mind my 3 boys. We got to the hospital and they had me on the monitor for about an hour. When the midwife came to give me an internal she checked the monitor and said that the contractions were registering so hopefully it was a good sign. But unfortunately when she checked me my cervix was closed and high but it was soft, and also the baby was back to back and high. The midwife said it was up to me if i wanted to stay and see if i had progressed by the morning but i decided to go home and see what happened, i was so embarressed i had never been to the hospital with "false" labour before and this was my 4th baby.

I sat up with pains for most of the night only getting about an hour or twos sleep. Went to the toilet the next morning and started getting my bloody show (never had this before) this came all day. Went to my routine antenatal appointment at 3pm with my friend and finally got seem after sitting there for a few hours. I thought the consultant would at least examine me and see if i was any further along but when i told him i thought i was in early labour he told me without even looking at me that i wasnt as it was too early i had another 2 weeks left. So i asked him what the pains were and he said they were probably from a dodgy curry. He gave me an appointment for the following week and my friend asked if i was still be pregnant then and he said "only God knows what a woman will do next!"

I came home to my husband in floods of tears, i kept thinking that i was going to be in pain for the next 2 weeks. Kept getting pains for the rest of the night and at about midnight I was lying on the couch watch TV with OH when i felt a pop, i thought it was my waters so i jumped up and pulled my trousers down only to see huge blood clots lying on the floor. OH threw the phone at me and told me to ring hospital while he went and got our friend to mind the boys. I was terrified as i had never seen this before and convinced myself that the baby had died.

We raced to the hospital and they put me on the monitor and said baby was fine but that i was not in labour and baby was still high and i was only 1cm. The contractions were getting stronger and the nurse gave me some gas and air. This was about 2:20. Then she asked me to go walking around the corridors as they needed the delivery suite for someone who they thought was further along than i was, I begged her not to make me try and walk as even moving on the bed was painful. She said ok i'll check u first but if you are still the same you will have to go. So she checked me and said mother nature had been good to me as i was now offically in labour, i was 4cm the babies head was down and my waters were gone. My hubby bet that i would have the baby around 6am. So anyway the pains werent that bad, i could talk in between them and me and hubby were having a laugh and joking around. The midwife asked if i was having any pressure and i said a bit, she checked and i was still 4cm. Then during one contraction the babys heart started to decelerate so the doc came and got me to lie on my side and he said "it wont be long now" and the midwife said " i know id say a few more minutes" I thought they were mad as i was still able to have a conversation between contrations. Then the pressure got really bad and i told the midwife, she came over and said "yep your 10cm and called another midwife to assist" my body started to push on its own and i couldnt stop it. The midwife shouting at me to stop as she hadnt got her gloves on and the other midwife hadnt arrived. I was shouting back saying i cant. and then Ava came flying into the world, the midwife caught her, she still hadnt managed to get her gloves on.

And then the panic started, My OH says that as Ava was coming out there was blood squirting everywhere (tmi) so Ava was put in a cot and left there while there was a million people around me. I could feel the blood pouring out of me, it was like there was a tap turned on, it was the weirdest experience. I was still out of it on gas and air and i turned to my hubby who was looking at all the blood in shock and i said to him "i'm going to die arent i?" and he was trying to convince me that i was fine but his face told a different story. The doc had to manually remove my placenta which was horrible. But thankfully that and a sintosin drip managed to stem the bleeding. But the was blood everywhere, the bed was drenced and it was running off the bed and was all over the floor. It was like something out of a horror film. So they got me cleaned my and brought me back to the ward with baby Ava. So i have to take iron for the next 6wks as your iron levels are meant to be between 11 and 13 and mine are 8. Which really isnt helping with the tiredness. Anyway sorry for having this so long and here is a few pics.

005.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

Oh Hun -Ava is gorgeous and well done but how scary that sounded at the end, hope you are recovering well now!!!

Congrats to you all xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->