The birth of Darcey Joan 01.07.2010

Morgan

Mummy to 2
Reaction score
Wednesday 30th June:

Had a rather unsettled night with a few niggly pains that didn't feel anything remotely like contractions so waved hubby off to work and got on with seeing to Austin. The pains seemed worse when I bent down/picked Austin up so when I went to my MW appointment I told her about them and we both agreed it sounded like baby's head engaging a little more (which it had) but to keep an eye on them. Got home, went to Asda for a few bits and pieces then mum went home and I settled down to watch some trashy TV during Austin's nap. Realised I was still having the pains and they were getting a bit sharp but still didn't think anything of them. Hubby got home at 5pm so we bathed, fed and played with Austin then put him to bed around 7.30pm. Was getting tea ready when hubby said I seemed to be really unsettled so he went to his mums to borrow a stop watch off BIL, luckily my PIL's weren't in so they didn't get any inkling and BIL just handed over the watch no questions asked. Pumped up my birth ball and had a bath still refusing to believe it could be the start of anything. Humoured hubby and started to time them and realised they were every five minutes but only about 30 seconds in length so at about 10.30p I went to bed. By 11.30pm hubby heard me literally crying in pain so came running with the stop watch, pen and paper and my notes and we started to time them again, in an hour they changed to every three to five minutes apart and over a minute in length so we rang the MW Unit at Shrewsbury and were told to come in. Dropped (a very sleepy and confused) Austin at my parents, told dad off for being outside in bare feet at half midnight whilst having a huge contraction (dad needs to be really careful with his feet and legs following a lengthy stay in hospital the year before I got married) and headed for Shrewsbury

Thursday 1st July:

Arrived at the Royal Shrewsbury at about 1am and insisted on walking across the car park instead of being dropped off outside the Maternity Unit. Once inside I nearly turned round and walked straight back out again as they were arguing with the labour ward about where I needed to go. Turns out my Consultant cleared me for the MW Unit and written it in my green notes but hadn't informed anyone else. Eventually my MW managed to persuade the labour ward to let me at least start in the MW Unit which they agreed to on the understanding that any hint of a problem I'd go to Ward 20. Was examined at 2am and was 2-3cms so not technically in active labour and couldn't have any pain relief so Laura (my MW) left us to it after pointing out baby was definitely on her way as I was still denying I was in labour. It was fab to be able to walk around and manage the contractions, had my own bathroom and hubby had a comfy chair which he promptly fell asleep in. A nurse bought me tea and toast so felt very chilled and relaxed.

Was examined again some time after 4am and was 4-5cms so could have the gas and air. Managed with that for another hour then remarked to hubby it was like sucking on fresh air and that I was going for a wee. Just as I was getting off the bed Laura came back and had another quick look and listened to baby. The HB was fine and I was around 7cms but she only had a quick look as another lady arrived and practically delivered in the corridor so she had to run and help. Was still insisting on going for a wee so off I went and then it all changed - was sat on the loo and suddenly things got really painful so I screamed and good job I did as it would turn out. Laura came running back with a nurse and along with hubby they managed to get me back onto the bed on all fours. It was really weird, I was shouting I needed to push but then realised I was pushing involuntarily already, waters went with a whoosh and one more push and Darcey literally slithered out screaming her head off. She was passed to me for skin to skin whilst I was checked over then hubby cut the cord and helped wrap her in a towel. I had a first degree tear that needed a stitch then we were left for half an hour before Laura came back and helped me into the bath whilst hubby fed Darcey. I was then transferred to the ward where hubby had to leave until 10am but when he came back we'd been seen by the Dr and cleared to be transferred to Wrekin so off we went. Had one night in hospital then we were discharged at midday on Friday.

It might not sound like things were all that quick but compared to Austin the whole thing was really fast and as they class active labour as from 4cms onwards my official time in labour is classed as 1 hour 56 minutes. Plus we discovered the gas and air had in fact run out so I was quite right when I made the fresh air remark to hubby! Basically apart from maybe half an hour I did the whole thing with no pain relief so am kinda glad things weren't prolonged

So well done hon, sure hope my 2nd goes like that!! :hugs: :hugs: Got any more pics?? :D
xx

Thats an awesome birth story, thanks for sharing xx

So well done hon, sure hope my 2nd goes like that!! :hugs: :hugs: Got any more pics?? :D
xx

Oh go on then ;) Love showing off my babies. She was about 7 weeks old in this pic wearing her coat for the first time

Attachments

• Coat.jpg
    Coat.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
Well done, and love the name, thats what i said i would have if i had a girl, but i'm having a boy and still cant think of a name. lol

Well done, and love the name, thats what i said i would have if i had a girl, but i'm having a boy and still cant think of a name. lol

Well Darcey is a unisex name altho more commonly used as a girls name these days. The male spelling is Darcy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->