The case of NTNP vs TTC!

S

Saoirse80

Hi all

I'm starting a new cycle today and DH and I are trying to decide if it's best to continue with charting/temping and opk'ing this cycle or to take a more relaxed approach. We've been charting for 4 months or so and it started out fine but the last cycle was difficult and stressful for me because I had so many symptoms and was SO sure that it was our month. DH thinks we should stop charting and all of that and just do the deed, LOL! Whereas I am feeling like I can't unlearn how to TTC with charting and CM or symptom-spotting and all of that. I don't have the most relaxed approach with things at the best of times, and most definitely not when it comes to something I really really want! I must admit, NTNP doesn't make much sense to me. If you want a baby and you're having sex without protection, then aren't you actively trying, and not preventing?!

So should we TTC and continue charting and all that jazz, or should we NTNP? Recommendations? Pros and cons for each? What works for you and why? If I should relax more, please tell me how!

TIA!

PS I've posted this over at the TTC board too; I hope that's cool!

Hello I sometimes go back and forth cause hubbie wanted to just NTNP but your right its hard not to chart and all that so then I think I am TTC right its crazy I think its how you feel. I am new to charting so its not to streesfull for me yet lol. Where others have been doing it for a while and need a break from it to relax their bodys a bit. I don't know if I make any sence but from reading other womens comment on other sites that's kinda what I get.

Hi
I'm new to this and I've not charted before anything like that, just tracked my cycle so I know when my period is due but I know for me and my OH we don't want to become 'obsessed' with getting pregnant so were not trying to work out when I'm most fertile etc were just hopin for the best I guess...

Yeah that's it, I'm conscious that I don't want to get obsessed or too stressed, you know? In a way, I would think it would be a shame conceive under stressful conditions. I'd be much happier to conceive without even "trying" but I worry not giving it my all will result in more BFNs!

Ahh it's hard. Thanks for replying guys :)

Not to rock the boat, but I don't believe NTNP exists... It is just varying levels of effort IMO. I always remember a teacher at school once telling us "If you CHOOSE to have sex without a condom you are TRYING to get pregnant" and I can't shake that haha, especially when everyone ntnp WANTS to be pregnant.

I understand the concept though, people always say "when u stop trying you get pregnant" But HOW do u stop trying haha ? Very hard to turn off from

Not to rock the boat, but I don't believe NTNP exists... It is just varying levels of effort IMO. I always remember a teacher at school once telling us "If you CHOOSE to have sex without a condom you are TRYING to get pregnant" and I can't shake that haha, especially when everyone ntnp WANTS to be pregnant.

I understand the concept though, people always say "when u stop trying you get pregnant" But HOW do u stop trying haha ? Very hard to turn off from

Yeah I understand what you're saying about NTNP to be honest. However, it does seem like a much more relaxed approach! I'm trying to find the best approach for me which is charting but not being overly obsessive. We're going to DTD as much as possible but try not to lose the romance and just go with the flow! And when I'm in the TWW, I'm not symptom-spotting and will probably remain off these boards.

And LOL, I remember a similar lecture in school!

When we were "trying" to get pregnant with our first I spent a lot of time with my legs up in the air :) I got upset if we didn't get the chance to dtd while I was ovulating, I got depressed about it... we ended up seeing a fertility dr after about a year and thankfully had quick success with him. now we are more NTNP... I don't think about what time of the month it is, I don't feel the need to hold his baby-making juice in for as long as possible lol and I just don't stress. Eventually I will probably start again, but for now its nice.

As far as the charting goes, I never did it... a "perfect" chart will not get you pregnant. An error in your chart will not kill all of the sperm. It just seemed obsessive to me and really wouldn't have accomplished anything.

It's a good point actually, a perfect chart does not get one pregnant! Good luck brittasticTX :)

Some use Natural family planning, and we dont have sex during our fertile days. NtNP to me means having sex whenever you feel like it regardless of fertile days. So the not trying part means not calling the hubby home everytime your CM is Eggwhite and you get a postive OPK. So i consider ourselves NTNP. I think i just restated what everyone else said..oops

Movinmomma - ah ok I think that makes me slightly more ttc than ntnp so. We definitely are concentrating on just dtd when we feel like it but I'm definitely keeping an eye on cm and aiming to dtd then. Thanks and good luck to you :)

We are trying ntnp since ttc for 2 years. We did get a bfp after 19 months but unfortunately i mc at 6 weeks. Ive been ttc 3 months since my mc and 2 years in total and i just want a more relaxed approach. I feel as if i have put my life on hold for 2 years. I want to change job but have been putting it off in case we conceive. Im a teacher and the notice i have to give is a school term. Ive decided im looking for a new job. If i get pg before i find one then i will wait longer. If i get a job first then we will start trying for a baby again once i start the new job. I just need it to be more relaxed so that i can be the person i was b4 ttc.

We are trying ntnp since ttc for 2 years. We did get a bfp after 19 months but unfortunately i mc at 6 weeks. Ive been ttc 3 months since my mc and 2 years in total and i just want a more relaxed approach. I feel as if i have put my life on hold for 2 years. I want to change job but have been putting it off in case we conceive. Im a teacher and the notice i have to give is a school term. Ive decided im looking for a new job. If i get pg before i find one then i will wait longer. If i get a job first then we will start trying for a baby again once i start the new job. I just need it to be more relaxed so that i can be the person i was b4 ttc.

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage :hugs:

I'm in a similar boat in the sense that there could be exciting job opportunities coming up and I've been thinking if I should not go for these opportunities because "what if I'm pregnant". Like you, I've decided that life needs to go on. And I certainly agree that a more relaxed approach will be of great benefit.

Best of luck to you, I hope you get your BFP really soon!

Its just my take on it. Im not sure there is an accurate definition. But i agree ttc should be as stress free as possible. Hope you all get your BFPs soon!

Definitely! This cycle was been so much less stressful due to not temping and charting and we've actually BD'ed MORE because DH felt less under pressure ;)

That's got to be a good thing :)

my OH and i go by a app on my phone for the rugh day i ovulate and we BH especially around that time but we don't chart or nything else so i guess im between TTC and NTNP :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->