the end of our nursing relationship?

bumpin2012

Finally complete
Reaction score
Baby girl is 12.5 months old. We have not had a super easy road to this point. She has never had a fantastic latch, and my supply has never been abundant. She suddenly dropped to nursing 3-4 times a day about a month ago, which suited me fine as I was returning to work (Im a nurse and work 12 hour shifts) I figured that since I am only working 2 shifts a week that My supply would be ok, but its very quickly going away.

She fights every time I nurse her, pulling off, fussing, extreme acrobatics. She rarely remains latched longer than 2-3 minutes. Today she didn't ask to nurse once. She only nursed because I insisted.

Hubby thinks this is the natural end, and that I should be ok with it.

Phase? Or is my supply done for?

My dd is the same age and usually doesn't nurse for long sessions during the day... A few minutes here and there. But she nurses lots at night and when drifting to sleep. From what i've read, babies don't typically wean for no reason until 18 months-2 years so it may be just a nursing strike. Weaning is usually emotional for mothers, and if you aren't ready, keep offering. If your supply is low, you might need to pump
some to maintain it if you aren't already. If you want to stop, though, i guess just don't offer and see what happens.

My DS2 weened himself at 8 months and I was sad but let him. My Dr. told me there were "things I could do" to stop it, but I let it happen. If you are not ready maybe ask a lactation consultant what can be done?

According to Kellymom it is very unlikely that a baby will self wean before 18months old. Often it is due to a dip in supply from offering too many solids before one year, not feeding on demand, pregnancy or period coming on, etc.

Your LO may just be responding to the dip in supply. My SIL thought my niece "self weaned" at 12 months due to her supply dipping from a new pregnancy... now at 16 months (and now that my SIL's colostrum is in) she is back at nursing around the clock!

You can use the situation to your advantage to gently wean if you want.. or you can just see how it goes... pump a little if you want to maintain supply like pp said (You can always give breastmilk to her in a sippy cup- it's a better milk option than cows milk for a toddler imo!) or encourage nursing more to up your supply.

Thanks! I've never responded to a pump, so it's not really an option.

I'm totally not ready to wean, she's my last baby, and the only one I was able to nurse (DS was a traumatic experience!) I had really hoped to continue until past 2. I guess I can just continue to offer and hope it's a phase.

It probably is! And I hear you, I can't imagine ever weaning ha! I am also hoping to make it to two :)

I agree it sounds like a strike, natural weaning is a very slow process. Definitely keep offering, especially when she is tired :)

She's flat out refused to nurse today :(

How long do strikes generally last? I'm afraid my supply will be gone before she's willing to continue :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->