The HV has confused me!

dom85

Mum of 2, 3rd on the way
Reaction score
So the HV came out to me yesterday to discuss weaning and a few things she said have confused me.

I told her that I want to do BLW at 6 months and I've started reading the Gill Rapley book, she had a leaflet with an excerp from the book and said that the HV's have all been on a course about BLW, but it turns out that she hasn't actually read the book! As I've only just started the book I said that it seemed very geared toward breastfeeding and explaining how easy it is for BF babies to take to it and feed themselves, and the only advice for FF is to offer them water. I just want to know that FF babies can actually do BLW, which I'm pretty sure they would but I guess may take a little longer? But she couldn't help with that. Is it just a case of offering water or are there other things I should do as Brady is FF?

I also asked about what you would give them for breakfast as the only thing that I could think of as 'breakfast foods' to give for BLW would be toast with something on or just fruit but she said that most people that do BLW feed babies breakfast and do the other meals as finger foods, is this right? I thought that if I gave him some porridge he would probably get his hands in it and eat it that way but she said that would be really messy and most people cant deal with that first thing in the morning :shrug:

She also said that babies need vitamins from 6 months as well which I dont remember reading about before. I thought that their milk has enough in it for them for the first year?

She also discussed the signs of readiness and Brady is displaying a lot of them, sitting well, putting objects to his mouth, he mimics chewing as well and she's also said that he might have to wean early because his weight has slowed down, he's dropped from the 75th centile to the 55th. BUT, he seems absolutely fine as he is now, we've been through the 4 month growth spurt and he's settled back to his usual 4 x 8oz bottles a day and still sleeping through at night, and yes, he's displaying signs that he's ready but surely that doesn't mean that he NEEDS to wean?

Sorry it's so long, just need some perspectives from some mummies that have done this before! It's really difficult when you have someone who's supposed to be a professional advising you to do something that you completely disagree with.

I just want to know that FF babies can actually do BLW,

Mum2BClaire (not sure exactly how she spells it) FF her Ruby and has done BLW successfully as have many others

I also asked about what you would give them for breakfast as the only thing that I could think of as 'breakfast foods' to give for BLW would be toast with something on or just fruit but she said that most people that do BLW feed babies breakfast and do the other meals as finger foods, is this right? I thought that if I gave him some porridge he would probably get his hands in it and eat it that way but she said that would be really messy and most people cant deal with that first thing in the morning :shrug:

I feed LO porridge and make it very thick - some I give him a preloaded spoon and the second half I give him a dollop on his tray and let him try his best with his hands. I do a similar thing with muesli mixed with a bit of yoghurt. I know some of the girls give a weetabix just moistened with milk.

She also said that babies need vitamins from 6 months as well which I dont remember reading about before. I thought that their milk has enough in it for them for the first year?

I thought FF contained all the vits but I'm bot sure. I BF and will be getting a vit supp just in case my diet and thus milk is at all deficient but I am playing safe doing that.

She also discussed the signs of readiness and Brady is displaying a lot of them, sitting well, putting objects to his mouth, he mimics chewing as well and she's also said that he might have to wean early because his weight has slowed down, he's dropped from the 75th centile to the 55th. BUT, he seems absolutely fine as he is now, we've been through the 4 month growth spurt and he's settled back to his usual 4 x 8oz bottles a day and still sleeping through at night, and yes, he's displaying signs that he's ready but surely that doesn't mean that he NEEDS to wean?

It is completely normal for weight gain to drop a bit at this age as the babies get more active. Nothing has more calories than milk so weaning for poor qweight gain makes very little sense IMO. MIlk has castly more calories than vegetable purees!!

Sorry it's so long, just need some perspectives from some mummies that have done this before! It's really difficult when you have someone who's supposed to be a professional advising you to do something that you completely disagree with.

Sorry my replies are so brief but I hope they help. Best go clean up LO now, feel free to join us in the suppiort thread (its a stickie at the top of the section)

i ff alfie and then did blw at 6months he loves it
you will get messy but if you give porridge in a morning keep lo in pjs so you can then take them off to wash
alfie doesnt have vitamins i give him a varied diet and his milk contains vits too
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->