The late arrival of Olivia 15/01/10

minnie83

Olivia's mummy
Reaction score
Well, she finally arrived on Friday 15th (12 days overdue), weighing 6lb 11 and a half oz! :happydance:

This might be a long one, sorry....

Was booked in for an induction on friday, but woke up at 430am thursday morning having contractions. Woke DH at 6am, and we timed them all day. They weren't regular, but we called labour ward anyway to let them know, and when they were 5 mins apart we went up to hospital. I was in a lot of pain at this point, and when they told me I was only 2cm I wanted to cry! :cry:

So off we went back home, I tried to get some sleep but we ended up going back to hospital at 1am friday morning. I was still only 2cm :nope: but they said I wouldn't need the induction in the morning as my body had done the work all by itself and now was just a matter of time. They let me stay in that night on the ante-natal ward (I was due back in at 830am anyway), was having contractions all through the night, and at 830am they took me down to labour ward.

Gas and air.....:cloud9:

Was doing ok on the gas and air for a while, until I had my waters broken when I was 4/5cm (can't remember exactly), and that upped the pain a lot! I was screaming in agony, the midwife said 'there's no point giving you pethidine you're in too much pain, we're getting you an epidural!' I didn't argue!
But before I could have the epidural they needed to put a monitor on Olivia's head, it took them AGES to get it clipped on, all the time I was crying in pain. When the eventually got it on.....'oh dear, it's not working'. Noooooooo!!! So they had to take it off and start all over again with another one! :dohh:

When that was sorted and the lovely aneasthetist (sp?) came in I was so relieved, annoyingly they went through all the risks first and tried to get me to read a laminate with it all on (as if I can do that!) and then made me sign the consent form (I scribbled 2 lines and threw it back at them!). I can see why they have to do it to cover their own backs, but come on! Seemed utterly ridiculous at the time!

The epidural was heaven. :cloud9: Because I could relax, I went really sleepy. They lowered the lights so I could have a little sleep, and when I woke up I was fully dilated! 5 -10cm in my sleep! :happydance: Anyone worried about epidurals, don't be. I certainly couldn't have managed without it, and you don't go completely numb. I could still move my legs and feet, and could still feel the contractions just without all the pain. When it came to pushing I could still feel when to push. I tore, and then they said that I need an episiotomy as well. I remember the midwife coming at me with these HUGE scissors! :shock: I think I pushed for about 20 minutes, and Olivia was born at 1938pm.

That's when the fun starts.....after the birth she was put on my chest for skin to skin while I was being stitched up. I had 2 tears and an episiotomy cut. :nope: One of the tears was really difficult to get to, and while they were trying to stitch it I was losing a LOT of blood. I lost a litre and a half in the space of a few minutes. One minute I'm looking at DH telling him I feel dizzy, next thing I'm coming round with the room full of doctors and midwives shouting things, shoving canulas in my arms, and DH is nearly crying. He said it was like something out of casualty, and thought that he was going to lose me! I had a blood infusion, and some other things (I don't know what), and was really drowsy for a while. They kept me in the delivery room that night so that DH could stay with me. He had to look after Olivia as I was to weak to even reach over to her cot. We moved up to a ward the next day, and were allowed home sunday afternoon.

It was an ordeal I will never forget, but definately worth it!

Attachments

• Olivia's first pictures 012.jpg
    Olivia's first pictures 012.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 39
Wow,what a journey! Congratulations to you too x

It was hard but as u say its worth it!! congrats!

:O dramatic, she's gorgeous tiny n so cute congratulations

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back