The Long Arrival of Baby Odhran at 41 Weeks, UPDATED

sadeyedlady

Reaction score
I was overdue 5 days and getting impatient. Started to get a bit crampy about 6pm Sunday evening but never thought anything of it seeing as I had just had a 3 course meal an hour beforehand,lol. Cramps started to become more regular later that evening so I made a hot water bottle and curled up on the couch. Then text my mother and gave her a heads up that things might be starting seeing as she was our lift to the hospital (which was a 40min drive). OH works till 12am so I didnt say anything to him as I didnt want him panicing incase it was a false alarm. Pain started to get a bit worse so I got on my ball and started timing contractions, which were coming sparatically, 10 mins then 6 then back to 10 etc. OH got home at 12 and I told him the good news so we stayed up a few hours together. Rang hospital at 4am with pains coming every 6mins and he said if I was comfortable at home to hold off a while until they got more intense. We slept for an hour then I ad to get up seeing as pain was getting worse and coming every 4mins. Rang hospital and told them we were coming in, so we hit the road at 7am.

We arrived at hospital and I was put a monitor. When asked how bad the pain was I said a 10, little was I to know it was going to get worse, lol. MW checked and I was only 2cms and told me if I wanted I could go home but I decided to stay anyway as I would feel more comfortable, 5 mins later I was admitted. I was in a ward with 4 other women but I was the only one in labor! The pain was getting worse so I got a ball, and then had a bath. I was demanding internals every hour at this stage! When I asked for pain relief they would only give me a panadol (yes a panadol for a woman in labor!) as they only had medication in the labor ward and I wasnt far enough dilated to be sent down there. I was still 2cms and baby was stll high up so we started doing laps of the hospital to get him to move down. We walked from 11am till 9pm when I was checked again and was told I was 3cm and could go down to labor ward! Off we went. :yay:

I was the only person in the ward apart from another woman who was just taken in to delivery suite. OH went home to grab a change of clothes and food, poor thing was wrecked. WHile he was gone I overheard the woman giving birth, scared the pants off me! I was demanding internals and was still only 3cms. I was fuming at this point. My MW was so so lovely and went out of her way to comfort me, she even robbed a TENS machine for me from MLU, lol. She kept saying she couldnt get over how calm I was. I was breathing through the contractions no bother, then as soon as they disappeared I was chatting away again. She thought it was hilarious. Was given G&A but it did nothing whatsoever. Got a shot of pethidine which only made me drunk, didnt ease the pain at all. Had to be helped to the toilet by a cleaner, lol. We discussed my options and we decided to break my waters. MW let me go as long as she could but he just wasnt budging. So off we went to delivery suite.

At this point I was demanding an epidural. Not for the pain really, just because I was so exhausted and frustrated after 25 hours of early labor. Another MW came in to put an IV in my hand and the silly bitch burst the vein (im petrified of needles btw) but I was too exhausted to complain. OH and my lovely MW Caitriona went mad at her. I just cried a little, lol. ANother MW was called to fix IV (who was fantastic) and then my knight in shining armour, the anaesthetist, came. He made me that relaxed I fell asleep while he was putting needle in my spine, lol. After that I felt no pain whatsoever. Waters were then broken and contractions came on fast, but I didnt feel a thing :) I was then checked again and was 10cm. Started pushing at 10.10am. Epidural l was lowered down and away I went...in every position imaginable! I started pushing as hard as I could and out came my beautiful baby boy after 70mins weighing a whopping 9lbs 6oz. I was in labor for 30 hours altogether. I didnt tear but had a 1st degree graze which took a week or 2 to heal properly. He was put on the boob straight away and was an absolute pro!

Also its true what they say, as soon as he came out every single pain I had disappeared :)

Sorry for the long story. Thanks everyone for all your help and support over the last 9 months. I hope your babies bring you as much joy as mine.

Wishing you all the best ladies

x x x x

https://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/G1njaN1nja/SDC11780.jpg

Congrats hun -and have to add -that picture is gorgeous.

Well done mummy!!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"