• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The most distasteful Halloween costume ever...?

sue_88

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24835322

Personally, I am absolutely disgusted that anybody can make light of such an awful tragedy that ended the lives of nearly 3000 people. Disgusting. And the fact they were applauded for their irresponsible costume by winning 'best dressed'.

They are at the University of Chester, and thankfully the Dean of that University is a very good Dean and I am sure the girls will get a welcome punishment from him.

The Worlds media has slammed them, both twitter accounts have been removed.

Im undecided on the severity of the media backlash with this tbh.

On first glance it looks like these girls turned up to a fancy dress party dressed as the twin towers. I then read it was a bad taste party, which I guess the place was full of Hitlers, Bin ladens, back pack terrorists ect so the outfit does fit the brief of what was expected.
I just don't think these silly girls thought about the actual bigger picture of who they would offend, I guess they certainly didn't think they'd hit the headline news.... Who does at that age when your attending college freshers parties?
Looking at the picture you just want to face palm for them... The nightclub seems to have taken a step back in whos responsible when theyve put the event on in the first Place.
It's very unfortunate that its been plastered over the international news now. I think they'll have learnt their lesson.

I'm not for one minute standing up for these girls or think it was a good idea to do what they did. I think the trial over the national news is more than enough punishment for them.

Absolutely disgraceful, when was that ever going to be a good idea!! I'm quite embarrassed to be a student at chester university now!!!

Wasn't it a "bad taste/offensive costume contest"? It's incredibly disrespectful, but that's the point, innit? Honestly, I've been a lot more offended the past dozen years by politicians using it for their own gain and interests than by a couple uni students deciding that this is the most distasteful costume they could put together for a bar tour.

I find things like this tacky and dull, but not overtly offensive. I totally get that making jokes is a natural way to cope with tragedy (I have a pretty dark, dry sense of humour anyway), but I also facepalm at the 'offensive = always funny lololol' formula that just wont go away at the moment. People have no subtlety or decorum with humour anymore, and we're replacing wit with just laughing at taboo subjects. Nothing seems really edgy or sacred these days.

Don't think the girls deserve any particularly harsh punishment though. The club had every right to turn them away at the door and chose not to. Halloween is a hub of child molester, serial killer, murder victim, national tragedy and tyrannical dictator get-ups; this is just another costume of unfathomable circumstance that makes the rounds (yup, I've seen a twin tower effort before).

I agree with MommyJogger. I find people who have used this tragedy for political agenda, or capitalised on it for profit (e.g https://www.cafepress.co.uk/+ground-zero+hats-caps) far more offensive than this.

Wasn't it a "bad taste/offensive costume contest"? It's incredibly disrespectful, but that's the point, innit? Honestly, I've been a lot more offended the past dozen years by politicians using it for their own gain and interests than by a couple uni students deciding that this is the most distasteful costume they could put together for a bar tour.

This.

It's certainly bad taste to go to a bad taste party, but people do it.

I can't see why this would be considered 'worse' or more offensive than dressing up as Hitler. He was responsible for millions of deaths, not thousands, and there are still plenty of people alive today old enough to have first-hand memories of that, or close family links. Or if you want more recent history, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein or a lot of modern Western-world leaders whose names most people will probably consider offensive if mentioned. :winkwink:

If it was a bad taste party, I hope it won! lol. It distasteful, but if it was at that party....kind of funny. I wouldn't be caught dead in it tho.

Yes it is an awful costume especially when people are still hurting.

I agree with larkspur. I do not see this costume any worst than hitler or KKK. Or any costumes that is just as bad. I do not understand why they have the party in the first place

I can actually see how people think this is more offensive than Hitler or any of the other leaders mentioned. Often times, a costume is a caricature-- exaggerated features, distinct props-- to make sure that it's recognizable. So many costumes end up trying to be humorous or rude to the subject. Making fun of an asshole is generally considered okay. Making fun of their victims (as is the case when you're dressing up as the towers, and by proxy the people inside) is not.

ETA: but then, I didn't know dressing up as hitler was offensive, so... you can take that with a grain of salt.

I can actually see how people think this is more offensive than Hitler or any of the other leaders mentioned. Often times, a costume is a caricature-- exaggerated features, distinct props-- to make sure that it's recognizable. So many costumes end up trying to be humorous or rude to the subject. Making fun of an asshole is generally considered okay. Making fun of their victims (as is the case when you're dressing up as the towers, and by proxy the people inside) is not.

ETA: but then, I didn't know dressing up as hitler was offensive, so... you can take that with a grain of salt.

Good point.

I also wouldn't find Hitler offensive, however I would find dressing up as a dying Jewish concentration camp victim offensive.

It's making light & poking fun at the victims.

No one would likely have known anything about it if they dressed as the terrorists.

There was some backlash here as a woman dressed up as a Boston Bombing marathon victim. It wasn't a bad taste party, I believe she showed up like that to her office on Halloween. :shrug:

I agree 100% with Sue. Horrible bad taste to be dressing up as the victims. :nope:

Here's the article

There was some backlash here as a woman dressed up as a Boston Bombing marathon victim. It wasn't a bad taste party, I believe she showed up like that to her office on Halloween. :shrug:

I agree 100% with Sue. Horrible bad taste to be dressing up as the victims. :nope:

Here's the article

Yikes. Too soon...

Here's the article

Yikes. Too soon...

No kidding! Although I'm not sure there would ever be a point where this would be "okay". I honestly have to wonder at the mentality behind it. Who really thinks that dressing up as a victim of something horrific is okay? :dohh:

She got serious backlash on it though. The Internets totally tracked her down, she started to receive death threats (and her family) and she lost her job as well.

I don't agree with the death threats though. Its one thing to point out when something is in bad taste, but its just as bad (IMO) to lower yourself to the same level iykwim?

Its bad taste, its vulgar, its thoughtless and idiotic.

I don't think it requires any punishment though, i think being plastered all over the media and internet and vilified is quite enough.

Remember, there are people the same age who are rapists, murderers, suicide bombers and paedophiles and i don't think this even compares to this.

Obviously the girls, the club and the judges were devoid of a brain that night and now realise the mistake.

I think its okay to be offended and hurt, but then that seems to be the point of a bad taste party right?

Very stupid girls, such bad taste... I mean why the hell would you do this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->