The new year arrival of Isobel Grace

LuckyStarr

Mummy to Izzie X
Reaction score
It has taken me a while to write my birth story partly due to not having much time and also going back over it with my mum and hubby to make sure I actually remember it right!

So......... Me and hubby had been staying at my parents house over Xmas as my hubby is a manager at a retail shop and he didn't want me to be at home on my own so close to my due date. From the 27th of decemeber from dinner time onwards I was having really strong braxton hicks contractions that lasted all the way through until I went to bed, then nothing, each time i was convinced it might be it but thankfully kept it to myself.

By the 30th of decmeber I had had enough of sitting around waiting for Isobel to make her arrival so I decided to go into work. I spent the morning sat on the floor doing the banking all morning and stayed for a spicy stir fry takeaway dinner with the ladies. As I was leaving my boss gave me a hug and said there was no way she would be in there much longer as she was so low. Once I got home the braxton hicks started up again.

I managed to get to sleep about midnight and woke up about 5 am on new years eve which was my due date with string period pains, I managed to nap between them for an hour or so then they were too bad and i had to get up.

I snuggled in the recliner and watched naff tv till about half 6 then had to get hubby up to keep me company. My step dad got up shortly after and in a panic woke my mum up to come and deal with me! I was starting to feel contractions much more by now and each one was taking my breath away. I took two paracentamol and hubby ran me a bath. My mum decided to ring the hospital for me as the contractions were every three mins apart at this point, my mums longest labour was two hours and she was starting to get concerned.

While I was in the bath mum came in and said the hospital thought it was time I went in to be seen :happydance:, little did I know the hospital didn't want to see me but mum bullied them into it by promising to take me home again if I hadn't progressed. (got to love my mum). The drive to the hospital was awful it was only 10 mins but I think we went over every pot hole in Yorkshire :haha:. On arriving at the hospital I was having to stop walking and sway through each of my contractions whilst holding onto hubby for dear life.

I was taken into triage on the labour ward when I eventually made it it from the car and had the nicest midwife. She did my temp, blood pressure and put monitor on baby for 20 mins. Then came the dreaded internal, I told the midway I was nervous and she was really nice and he,ped calm me down. At this point I was 2cm but completely effaced. Because the contractions were coming so close together and I had made good progress in only 3 hours from first contraction they said I could stay and got me a delivery suite.

I jumped straight into the bath in the delivery stuite hubby kept me company and I was managing to breath through my contractions it was 9.30 at this point. After about half an hour the midwife popped her head round the door and asked if I felt I needed any pain relief, I was beginning to struggle so agreed and on the midwives recommendation had a shot of pethadine, this meant that I had to get out of the bath.

The pethadine was amazing and meant that I could nap between the contractions the only problem was I had been being sick all morning so I couldn't lay down so was swaying around in the bed when I was sleeping, I don't remeber much of the rest of the morning, at about half past 12 I remember my mum saying she was going for a sandwich and me saying is it that time already and everyone looking at me like I was mad. I also started on the gas and air at this point, I am not sure it really helped me but it gave me something to focus on.

At about 1 my waters broke, for me this was quite painful and i was also being sick at the same time. :growlmad:
From now with every contraction it felt like my body was pushing but I wasn't fully dilated and the way my body had taken over I found quite scary. After my 2nd internal where I was 8cm I got up on my knees leant over the head of the bed to help the baby come down for me this was the most painful bit of labour as the pressure was so intense, I never felt the need to scream though but I did moo like a cow through each contraction :haha:. What felt like two mins later but hubby says was about 2 pm the midwife told me I had to turn round.

I only remember pushing the once but hubby says I was for about half an hour and the midwife grabbed my hand and put it on isobel's head, I didn't even know we were that close, my mum says the look of wonder on my face is a memory she will never forget. I then got hubby to feel too as he was up at the head endof the bed! When her head was out the midwife had to pull the emergency buzzer as there was some meuconium present and another midwife arrived. With the one push I remember she was here.

The midwife put her straight onto my chest for skin to skin and it was if all the effects of the pethadine wore off immediately. She was beautiful :cloud9:.

I had the injection for the placenta and had that within ten mins. I needed two stitches and when the midwife asked if I wanted local aneasthetic I said no I would do it on gas and air (I felt lik super women at this point) this was a bad mistake It really hurt for me :dohh:

I really loved my birth experience the midwife was really unobtrusive and let my body do its thing. I wasn't too keen on my overnight experience on the ward but I went home the next morning.

So Isobel grace arrived on her due date the 31st December 2010 at 2.30 pm weighing 7lb 7oz.

And hopefully here are some photos

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=451480&id=557725244&l=ff899b8c0d

Lucy and Isobel x x

congrats! beautiful story, i always well up at birth stories

awww lovely story and beautiful photos, congrats x

awh shes a beaut hun! :cloud9:
congrats!

Congratulations!! I had Alexander new years eve too! :)

Lovely story, and she is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! xx

Congratulations, she's beautiful

I loved your story.

Your baby is gorgeous, lovely chubby cheeks :kiss:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member