The reluctant arrival of Harry James (induction/c-section)

kitty17

Just the two of us
Reaction score
It's gonna be a long one, but then again so was the birth!!

I went in to be induced Friday 30th September @ 11am, at 40+10. After getting settled, I was examined and found to be a fingertip dilated, and my cervix was long and posterior :( I was given my first prostoglandin pessary at 1pm and left to get on with it. I went for a massive walk all around the hospital with my mum, but unfortunately wasn't getting any pains or niggles. At around 8pm, I was examined again and hadn't made much progress, so was given my 2nd pessary. The MW also performed a sweep on me in the hopes of getting things going.

About 9-10pm, I started getting quite mild but nevertheless uncomfortable contractions. Throughout the night they got gradually closer together until they were about 3-4 minutes apart lasting 45-50 seconds. I started getting really excited, but decided to wait it out as long as I could before buzzing the MW.

I managed to doze off...and woke up 4 hours later in no pain at all! :dohh: My contractions had all but gone and I was only getting mild cramps every 10-15 minutes.

In the morning, I was examined by the doctor and given a 3rd and final pessary. He told me if this didn't work, I'd be moved down to labour ward at 6pm and my waters would be broken. I went for another long walk but was totally gutted to have no twinges whatsoever!! Then, to add insult to injury, I was told at 4pm my place on labour ward was being taken by another lady who was in preterm labour :( and that as soon as things quietened down, I would be moved down.

The MW came around at 6pm to check my BP and put me on the trace. I was having mild contractions at this point, but they weren't even registering on the trace!! It was noted, however, that LO's heartbeat was dropping, and the decision was made to take me down to labour ward. I was absolutely made up, and practically skipped down to my room! After nearly being sent back up to the maternity ward the second I came down, I was shown to my room and told that once the night shift handover had been done, I would have my waters broken.

I was eventually seen by a lovely MW at 10pm, who attempted to break my waters. I was still only a fingertip dilated, though, so she decided it wouldn't be beneficial to me to break my waters, and told me to try and get some sleep and she would come around at 6am and definitely break them for me then.

At this point, I totally lost it. The second she left the room, I burst into tears and had a total and utter meltdown and decided I'd had enough and was going home. My mum tracked down the MW, who came and listened to me sobbing my heart out about being fed up and going nowhere and that I just wanted to go home to my bed and come back in the morning. She told me not to be silly, but said she was going to try and break my waters again. After an incredibly painful exam and severe poking with the hook, she told me she didn't even think my waters were there!! A doctor came in and painfully confirmed that, yes, my membranes were no longer intact (no idea when this even happened!) and that I could be hooked up to the drip to kickstart my contractions.

As I was hooked up to the syntocinon, my contractions started up again, irregular but painful. They STILL weren't even registering on the trace, but the exam I'd been given by my MW and the doctor seemed to have sent them up a notch and they really started to hurt.

After about 30 minutes being on the drip, LO's heartrate started to plunge dramatically with each contraction. My MW came in with a gown "just in case" and said that things weren't looking great for me. Things then progressed incredibly fast from there. I was seen two doctors, given a form to sign and told about the risks of a c-section, stripped and put in the hospital gown, and wheeled into theatre ready for LO to be delivered.

The spinal was fantastic! I got the giggles something awful and lay on the operating table shaking with laughter at the bizzare feeling of having no sensation from the chest down. My mum was brought in, and after 10 minutes of being wheeled in, Harry made his long awaited entrance!

I was told by the doctor after my c-section that I would never have delivered naturally. I was only dilated 2cm after being in labour for 48 hours, and as my waters had broken so long ago (they reckoned shortly after my 2nd pessary, I think it may have been while in the bath!) my uterus had totally dried out and was stuck to my bladder. LO couldn't move his head down enough and dilate my cervix, and the longer I was contracting the more distressed he was getting.

Anyway, after my c-section everything went incredibly well, I'd even go as far as to say I've made a better recovery than if I had birthed naturally. My c-section was at 2:45am on 2nd October, and I was discharged from hospital at 5pm on 3rd October. My wound is tiny and neat, and is causing me absolutely no pain at all.

All in all it does sound like quite a horrific induction story, and it was quite traumatic for me at the time, but in the end everything worked itself out and I've got my little baby happy and healthy, which is really all it's about :cloud9:

:flower: if you've read this far, and here's my little prince Harry, born 2:56am on Sunday 2nd October, 8lb 8oz:

https://i56.tinypic.com/et5j74.jpg

https://i51.tinypic.com/24n4u2c.jpg

https://i52.tinypic.com/97vdqs.jpg

xxxxxxxx

Aw congrats hun, he is gorgeous xxx Hope your recovering well xx

Awww congratulations he's sooooooo cute! xx

Congrats hun, slow and traumatic start by the sounds of it but sounds like you have done real well having a c section, gives me hope as i have mine in 10 days!

Congrats again! xx

aww hun! he is so gorgeous! so glad everything is ok now xx

He is gorgeous sweety, congratulations :)

so glad that everything turned out great. Congrats to you and little one.

Ah congratulations, he is lovely, hope you are both well x

Congratulations! He's adorable. You'll have to let me know how the FOB stuff goes. xx

Congrats hun, slow and traumatic start by the sounds of it but sounds like you have done real well having a c section, gives me hope as i have mine in 10 days!

Congrats again! xx

Yep, the second it was decided I would be having a c-section it all started coming up roses! It was a really positive experience, and I hope yours is too! x

congratulations hun! thanks for sharing your story... he's gorgeous! x

He is so cute, congrats and well done x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"