The slightly late birth announcement of Phoebe Louise

Niccal

Reaction score
A slightly late birth announcement...my sweet daughter Phoebe arrived at 8.02 on the 7th August, a full 2 weeks overdue and after a pretty lengthy labour...

My July due date came and went and I was booked in for an induction on the morning of Saturday 6th August. The midwife came to my house to give me a sweep the Sunday before, which unfortunately didn't really start anything, I was having some random niggly pains but nothing more so I focused on the date for my induction. However, I woke up in the early hours of the Thursday morning to realise my waters had gone. I rang the maternity unit because I still wasn't getting any contractions and they asked me to go in so they could check. I pretty much knew they had gone - it was sort've obvious!

They confirmed it was my waters, hooked me up and checked that baby was ok (she was kicking up a storm!) and I was sent home and asked to go back in the next day if nothing happened in the meantime. So I went home hoping labour would start...I got some irregular pains overnight, but by morning they'd stopped so I had to go back in so they could check again that me and Phoebe were both ok.

Then they told me if labour didn't start naturally I couldn't go to the Midwife led Unit I wanted to go to and I'd have to go to a different hospital to be induced because of the infection risk.

Labour didn't start on its own, so I was admitted on the Friday morning and was meant to be induced at 10am...but because they were so busy I was put under observation and told I'd have to wait. I was constantly monitored and because both me and Phoebe were ok the time dragged on. As it turned out I wasn't induced until half four on the Saturday afternoon.

Because my waters had already gone they put me straight on the drip but it wasn't quick and I ended up being in labour for 16 hours. Phoebe was finally born on the Sunday morning...as they were threatening to take me off to theatre for an assisted delivery, which they said could have ended in a C Section.

I decided I wasn't going to Theatre and just started pushing like crazy with the midwife egging me on, they came back to take me down to Theatre I think about half an hour later just as Phoebe was crowning and I can remember the doctor looking slightly shocked and commenting that he obviously wasn't needed.

Because I couldn't cope with how hard and fast the contractions came on I had 2 lots of pethidine which affected Phoebe...who then struggled to feed properly and lost quite a bit of weight. It's taken a while, but she's now a very contented baby and the absolute love of our lives - I'd go through it all again tomorrow if I had to!

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 22
  • phoebe_nov4.jpg
    phoebe_nov4.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 19
  • phoebe_nov24.jpg
    phoebe_nov24.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 23
Congratulations on a healthy and adorable girl! I like the name Phoebe, too. :)

Gorgeous little girl you have! Thanks for sharing your story!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->