The story of Cameron's birth (retained products of conception)

whale

Reaction score
It'd been a while now, he was born on the 14th of January, 40+6 (pictures to be added).

He is beautiful and such a good little boy but the birth and aftermath wasn't so beautiful and good :(

It started on the Thursday (13th) at 9am, I woke to a little pop and a run down my leg. I wasn't sure if it was just watery discharge or my waters so I called triage to which they told me to do the pad test (put a pad on and ring back in an hour with how much was on the pad). There was nothing on my pad, so I was told they weren't concerned as I was seeing my midwife at 3pm that day.

I was having pains and cramps so I started timing them, nothing regular at all but still a bit of this watery discharge. I didn't want to concern anyone as I didn't believe anything was happening so I went about my day cleaning and I even went to McDonalds with my mum.

I was due a sweep that day so when I got to the midwife I thought it would be best to mention this discharge which was still coming. She immediately called triage and told me to go home and get my bags then go straight to the hospital. I came out of the midwifes and decided I should contact my husband and I told my mum who was with me.

I got to the hospital and the pains were getting more intense and the 'discharge' was becoming heavier. I was checked over and was told I was 2cm and my waters had gone. I was told to go home and come back when the pains were regular or 10am the next day, whichever came first.

At about 6pm I walked down the stairs to leave but realised I couldn't go home as it hurt far too much and I'd only be returning straight away so I went back to the ward. About an hour later I started on gas and air (my birth plan said this was the only pain relief I wanted).

3 hours later after a lot of gas and air, a dip in the bath, A LOT of screaming and crying, my husband was told I had to have an epidural as I had used all my energy up and I was only 5cm (my mum compared me to the exorcist :()

At 10.30pm I had an epidural and life was so much easier! At 2.30am I was checked again and I was 10cm but not totally effaced so I was told I would start pushing in an hour. Reality hit me, I was about to become a mum, so what did I do to prepare? I went to sleep. Really, I went to sleep LOL!!!

As planned at 3.30am I started pushing and at 4.35am Cameron was born. I was so scared, he didn't cry. In fact he didn't cry until he was 3 days old and even now it's rare!

Soo..birth wasn't fun until heavy drugs were involved and then just 6 days later I thought I had come down with the flu. I was gutted, I became so ill I couldn't even express and we had to move to formula.

A few days later, still having a fever and a high temperature I collapsed, passed out and fitted. I don't remember it happening, my husband had to recall it back to me. An ambulance was called and I went to the hospital to be checked, again no concerns. I was put on hourly observations where my temperature rose from 38 (high) to 40 (very high) and wouldn't go back down. I was admitted to hospital and a few hours later I went to the toilet and had a massive vaginal bleed.

What happens next is still a little hazy. I suffered confusion and memory loss which hasn't completely returned,

My temperature rose to 43.7, I was shaking uncontrollably and my stats and blood pressure dropped to a deathly state.

I was stabilised, sent for an ultrasound scan and it was confirmed that I had what is known as 'retained products of conception' left in my womb, 10cm of it. It could be part of my placenta or just membrane that didn't leave. It had rotted and got infected which was what caused the state I was in.

I had an operation which sucked it away and only had to spend one night in hospital as I instantly improved. I came home a week ago now and I can finally enjoy my son, minus the breastfeeding which I still feel guilty about.

Well done if you got this far, thanks for taking the time to read it!!

Congratulations on your son. Wow, what a scary experience afterword, though! I'm glad to hear you are doing better. :hugs:

wow im so sorry you had such a bad after-birth experience but lo more than makes up for it!

Congratulations hon. the Retained products sounds scary but I'm so glad you're on the mend now. :hugs:

:hugs: don't feel guilty about the bfing! Just enjoy your little boy now

Wow sounds so scary, but glad that things cleared up so quickly for you afterwards. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->