The terrible 5s?

vkj73

Reaction score
The terrible twos and threes were a cake walk compared to some of what we're going through with our soon-to-be 6yo. I seriously feel like this is a window into the teenage years.

Our concerns:
1. One false move, when we're least expecting it can set her off (i.e. she gets frustrated about something)
2. She has a very hard time going to bed.

We have a bed time routine, we've tired various methods, including incentive charts and calm, reassuring talks. The chart is touch and go. If we ignore the behavior and let her calm down, a hug usually does the trick.

I understand that it's normal for kids keep to it together all day at school, then come home and because they are comfortable, act out more.

I guess what I'm looking for is to hear that this really is all normal and that it passes (for now). The volatility is really stressful.:cry:

Thank you in advance! :hugs:

My just turned 6 year old is either shouting or crying at the moment. I get that she's tired from school and I usually suggest we do something nice together rather than punish her and it seems to work . Unless I feel she's being really out of line then there's a consequence

My 6 year old gets very grumpy after school and argues with us quite often. He never wants to go to bed despite being obviously exhausted. Every evening is a challenge!

I think it's very normal and common, especially coming home from school etc. I do think though that the difference at 5 and 6 is that they KNOW better and I can act accordingly as a result. Summer can often have an attitude coming out of school for one reason or another and I tell her to drop it or else she can sit in her room when she gets home rather than join in the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->