Thick hard skin on newborn lips

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is normal or how I can clear this up? I can't seem to upload a photo but ds2 has had hard thickened skin on his lips since he was about 2 days old. Sometimes it peels a bit but it won't come off. it goes soft when he's had a bottle and it's got wet off the milk, but dries hard again.
Yesterday he scratched the corner and made his mouth bleed where he pulled some off, but otherwise it doesn't look sore or cracked.
Midwife is coming tomorrow so I'll ask her about it again, but last week when I asked her she didn't seem bothered.

Both my babies had this, but in my case I wasnt producing enough milk and they were getting dehydrated so I had to go to formula. I'm not sure if it applies to your situation.

We are formula feeding, he takes 2-3oz every 3 hours or so and every feed has a soaking wet nappy and plenty of poops a day too so I don't think he is dehydrated, but I will make sure I mention it again tomorrow now just in case. Thank you.

Tried to get a photo but my phone quality isn't very good.

Attachments

• IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 33
Those look like some very severe sucking blisters/calluses to me. Since you are formula feeding, it's probable that you won't have noticed any problems, but how does he do with his bottle? Does he struggle or choke at all, or seem stressed, or lose milk when he is feeding? Has he been checked for tongue tie? Does he have a high arch in his palate/does his top lip flare out? My guess is that he's having to work hard to keep a grip on the teat, and usually tongue tie or some sort of other oral anomaly is to blame.

Most newborns get a mild callus, usually on their top lip, as they get used to the friction caused by vigorous sucking, but these are very large. Both my babies have had posterior tongue ties and high palates as a result, and my second got blisters all round her lips - like these but much less obvious - from trying not to slip off the nipple. I'm breastfeeding (and a tongue tie veteran after the awful experience I had with my first!) so we got hers sorted out early and the blisters went away. So if you notice any issues while he eats, do get checked out.

Thanks meep. The midwife did say last week that he has a mild tongue tie and asked how he was feeding - to which I replied fine.
He takes his bottle perfectly doesn't really spill any out at all or seem to have to make too much effort to drink it. I have noticed a bit of a clicky sound though when he sucks like his tongue loses grip slightly which I was also going to mention today. And other than really holding onto his wind, he feeds fine.
I'll feel terrible if this is down to his tongue and if needs snipping and I've not noticed for so long. What's the procedure like? I'm terrified just thinking about it!
I wish my midwife would hurry up and arrive now.

Both mine were clickers too. The tongue can't keep a good grip and snaps back, causing them to lose suction. :) The click does tend to cause a swallow of air, which is probably why he's very windy.

The NHS and midwives completely failed to diagnose both of mine sadly, as posterior ties are quite invisible unless you palpate them to make them pop out, and it seems the NHS don't have a clue about that. My first, as a result, didn't have the procedure until she was 4.5 months old and had had several feeding strikes. :(

It's possible he might have a posterior tie as well as anterior, so when he cries, have a little look at his palate for a high arch or bubble shape.

We went private both times because of the nature of the girls' ties and the NHS's inexperience, first with a lactation consultant in Cardiff, then to a cranial osteopath in Oxford for Sylvie. Both were excellent. The procedure takes about two seconds once they are wrapped up. Neither girl cried for more than about 2 minutes and had no problems with pain, feeding or healing afterwards. It's much worse for us than it is for them.

If he's doing ok with feeding though, there's no great urgency to get it snipped, but it's totally up to you. Personally, I always would, simply because nobody can say if it will affect speech, management of solid foods or dental development in the future, so why take the risk? After nearly 3 years of un-tied breastfeeding, my first's palate has finally lost its bubble shape and I'm hopeful we will be able to avoid braces as a result!

Definately looks different than what my children had, hopefully it gets figured out soon.

My son had this too but not to the same extent. it never bothered him nor did it split so I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but as others said I did suspect it was due to all that sucking they do. Hopefully the mw will have an answer for you. Cute little man you have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->