Things to do during the day?

MrsBop

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
So I'm suffering serious empty nest syndrome :haha: both children are at full time school now, husbands at work and I'm bored at home on my own (there's only so much housework I can do!) childcare is ridiculously expensive and we'd barely break even me working so I'm stuck. What do other 'house people' do each day?

Im a mother to one, but he is only 15 months old, so still home with me all day.

When he sees his dad though, i have a list of things i enjoy doing whilst child free.

Exercise classes.
Going for a run (i usually opt for this as classes are quite expensive!)
Baking.
Cooking a more time consuming dinner (i rush cooking when LOs home as he is generally clinging to my legs!)
Cross stitch/reading/watching an episode of my chosen "series of the moment"/having a bath & all relaxing things i cant do with a toddler about! :)
Cleaning/food shopping/all the chores! :(

I cant speak for women who are home all day whilst their kids are at school. Im sure i would feel the same if i was without him everyday, at the moment its a novelty as its only one day a week.

Could you do some volunteer work? Or a little part time job that fits in with school runs? Or attend a part time college course? Even if its just a "hobby" course to get you out & about & meeting new people with similar interests.

Whatever you do with your quiet days though, DO NOT feel guilty. Enjoy making time for yourself, i expect half past 3 comes round quick, & then its all about the kids until their bedtime!

x

I went on maternity leave early when pregnant with DS2, when DS1 was at nursery I worked on my masters. Something you could study? Maybe some voluntary work?

Become a student! When my middle child started nursery I started study with the ou. Volunteer at your childs school, most appreciate the extra help. I did this alongside my studies and ended up as a paid TA in another school with child friendly hours! End result of volunteering 8 years ago is I am now a qualified teacher beginning my NQT year with my own class! X

I've had the same problem since my youngest went to full time school in September, I literally drive myself stir crazy :wacko: Can't wait for this baby to come so I can be busy again and I never thought I would hate an empty house so much. I never understood the meaning of 'silence is deafening' until now :dohh:

my youngest is only 8m but i'm already planning to return to some kind of study/retraining once he gets his free hours. while i love being at home with my boys i'm sure that the novelty of all that free time will soon wear off.

Get a part time job?

I'm lucky I managed to get a 9-1 job which fits in great with school runs x

Volunteer somewhere that interests you? Join exercise classes, find a hobby (baking, crafts, etc).
I plan on volunteering at an animal sanctuary when Jacob's in full time school :).

my youngest is only 8m but i'm already planning to return to some kind of study/retraining once he gets his free hours. while i love being at home with my boys i'm sure that the novelty of all that free time will soon wear off.

Thanks everyone for replying to my self pitying post :haha: today I have looked for part time jobs however it's the childcare during school holidays that we can't afford :( there was a lovely job 9.45 until 1.45 Monday to Friday but I don't blooming drive so would have to use morning childcare *argh!* anyhow I looked at volunteering but there was nothing online so going to ask in school, I stay every morning for half an hour with my daughter so play with the children then and would enjoy a career down that path, if they don't take volunteers then I've been looking at college courses but again the childcare would be needed so financially it's not doable because DH earnt a bit over the threshold last tax year so looking at next September when his wage will be lower. To be honest it's only Monday's I hate, after busy weekends it just seems so empty! Thanks again though :)

Walking or exercising
Landscape garden / plant vegetables
Ironing
Baking
Cooking food in batches for freezer

Charity shops are always desperate for people to work any hours. Plus if your kids at are school it's a good idea to do something so that when you do need to work again you can say you were doing this or that. If you're working full time during the week though then the cost of after school clubs should be move than covered if you do decide to go back to work.

Are you creative? What about some kind of crafty thing
I want to get a sewing machine and start making my own clothes/ cushions etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"