• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Things You Wish You Had Known Beforehand

Waiting4bb

Two march babies <3
Reaction score
Preparing for a home birth for the second time. Our first ended up being born in the hospital after my water broke but my labor did not actively start. I am nervous about the same thing happening again or not going into labor naturally and having to be induced again. But I'm trying to stay positive. :thumbup:

So, if you have any advice/tips on things you would have done differently at your home birth would you please share? :flower:

i wouldnt change anything, except mine wasnt planned and next time it will be. i found it helpful to have my hospital bag as one place to find everything eg sanitary towels, clean clothes so the midwife/hubby could find everything without me having to do anything

good luck

i wouldnt change anything, except mine wasnt planned and next time it will be. i found it helpful to have my hospital bag as one place to find everything eg sanitary towels, clean clothes so the midwife/hubby could find everything without me having to do anything

good luck

Mmm that is a good idea. I can see my husband asking me over and over where each item is. :haha:

The only thing I changed between the two home births was dropping the doula. With 2 midwifes present at a home birth, she was quite unnecessary and was just in the way; I didn't miss her at all second time around.

I hope you get your home birth this time around!

The only thing I changed between the two home births was dropping the doula. With 2 midwifes present at a home birth, she was quite unnecessary and was just in the way; I didn't miss her at all second time around.

I hope you get your home birth this time around!

Hmm, I have a doula but she is also a friend of mine. Kind of having her there to help her out with experience because she hasn't been at it for long. I wonder if I will regret that decision? Thanks for sharing, and I think we will get our home birth. :)

My home birth experience was overall really positive. Only things I would change were that I wish I'd stuck to my guns about not having any VEs and not having a doula next time. The VE was by far the most (actually ONLY) painful thing about my labour. And it was completely unnecessary, except that I was so calm and relaxed that the midwives thought I wasn't even in established labour (when they checked I was fully dilated!). So it helped them, but did me no favours and I'd not consent to one again. I also wouldn't have a doula. Generally, I'm a big fan of doulas and I'd tell most people to have one, particularly if it's your first natural birth. But even two midwives was two people too many in the room, and my doula sucked and was mostly in the way and not very helpful. I'd rather be on my own (which I was for nearly all of my labour anyway because my doula went away on holiday to AFRICA, yes really, when she should have been on call for me and barely made it there in time!). But I was just much happier labouring alone with just my husband and things progressed much better then. I'll also probably hire an independent midwife next time, just because I want the extra postnatal support I didn't get this time around, though overall my NHS midwives were wonderful at my birth.

I would make sure that I remember to eat!! I was happily gently labouring during the afternoon and was so involved with recording contraction times that I didn't eat a thing. Alex was born at 22.14 by which time I was more than exhausted! I felt like I was going to pass out - the midwives were worried, but I perked up after some toast! x

Make sure your husband/birthing partners know what you want from them/have their jobs to do etc. and that they know where stuff is. This is particularly important if your labour is quick! Odd as it sounds, my hubby and I didn't speak to each other very much during my homebirth because we both were very focused on what we had to do and both knew what was needed at the time (not that it wasn't an emotional bonding experience! :haha: )

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Just had our home birth on the 29th and had a beautiful healthy baby girl. :) So thankful that we were able to do it. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->