Thinking of changing my 5 month olds name...need advice!

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
Okay, so during my entire pregnancy I could not find a name that i loved for my sweet girl. We changed it a thousand times. In fact even after she was born, she was nameless. I do love the name we chose, Lilah (lie-lah). I really do love it. However, there was a name that i seriously fell in love with during pregnancy, Azalea (ah-zale-ya). Thing is, i never ever mentioned it bc i was too worried about everyone elses opinions. And so i just stuffed it under the rug and moved on. Now she is 5 months old (actually 6m today!) and im starting to have some "namers remorse" (well, remorse isn't the right term...i dearly love the name Lilah, but i just regret not following my heart with Azalea). I now realize why i struggled so much, bc i was fighting it!

So i dont know what to do. This is for certain our last LO. I dont want to regret not changing it. But then i also dont want to regret changing it either and so im deeply conflicted. My DH is totally on board with whatever i want to do.

some options he mention, keep it Lilah and change nothing.
Double barrel her name (two first names) and change it to Lilah-Azalea.
Keep her first name Lilah and change her middle name (Victoria) to Azalea (which i dont want to do bc Victoria is after my sister, so thats not an option).
Give her a second middle name (Azalea Victoria). I just dont see the point in this option, dont think that makes it worth the fuss and seems very long.
Or just flat out change her name to Azalea

She doesn't seem to really know Lilah is her name yet. So that wouldn't effect things. But my boys know her by Lilah, however they are toddlers, so i dont see an adjustment problem....help!

Wow I was wondering how things were going with you. I remember you were pretty set on Maci Victoria too and it seemed sudden on BnB that you went with Lilah.
Honestly I think Lilah Victoria is gorgeous, and Azalea, while beautiful in itself, seems odd paired with Isaiah. This is obviously just my opinion on it and I just wanted to voice that part of it.
I wish you the best and hope you figure things out soon :flower:

I love the bane Azalea, but like pp said it's a bit closer to Isaiah for my liking. I like the flow of Lilah Victoria better than Azalea Victoria, and in fact I think I prefer Lilah as a first name overall.
I keep thinking that the nickname could be Zae though, which I also love. So I'm on the fence, but if you really feel Azalea fits her better change it, but sooner than later

At 6 months old, babies usually recognize their names in my experience. I have several 6 month old babies in my class and they all smile, turn their heads and respond to their names. They absorb and learn more than you might think. Because of this, I personally wouldn't change the name completely. I think at this point your best option is either to leave it as is, or double barrel the first name which would be nice since that way you can call her Azalea and people who know her as Lilah can keep it so as well.

At 6 months old, babies usually recognize their names in my experience. I have several 6 month old babies in my class and they all smile, turn their heads and respond to their names. They absorb and learn more than you might think. Because of this, I personally wouldn't change the name completely. I think at this point your best option is either to leave it as is, or double barrel the first name which would be nice since that way you can call her Azalea and people who know her as Lilah can keep it so as well.

WSS! You can double barrel and call her Azalea. We often call our LO Oscar, which is his second name. He responds to both that and to Rory.

i kind of know how you feel I discovered after I registered my dd i fell in love with the name Orla. but I reminded myself how much i looooove the name i chose for her too . even if you change her name there might be a new one you hear and think wow. I kinda realised you cant have all the names and the fact you have mentioned you do love her current name...personally I wouldnt change it. id be concerned of the "hey remember when her name was...." etc I mean i dont see any actual harm in changing it. I think you could maybe double barrel it but seems like a bit of a mouthful having those 2 specific names together imho.

good luck with whatever you decide.

also theres a chance you wont always LOVE your lo's name as your tastes may change in years to come.... something to think about

xx

Thanks so much for your insight everyone!
I spent yesterday calling her Azalea...it seemed to fit her, but at the same time, Lilah clearly belongs to her. So then i started calling her Lilah-Azalea. I know it's a mouthful, and so i was battleing it, but honestly it seems perfect for her. Since she was born ive loved the name Lilah but it just always seemed like something was missing. Like Lilah was apart of her but it just seemed incomplete. And now i feel that Lilah-Azalea is absolutly what she seems like and it feels completed. No question asked. That is her.

BUT...is it too much? I think im more tripped up about what ppl will think, even though my gut is saying it fits her perfectly

I believe that if you feel it fits perfectly then go with it. No matter what there will always be someone who has something negative to say. But if you love it, then it doesn't matter what they say. There were some people who just about lost their minds when I told them I was going to name my daughter Seraphina. But I loved it and stuck with it. Its been three years since I picked her name (before I even got pregnant) and I still absolutely love it.

And she could just go by Lilah or Azalea if you (or other people) don't want to use her full name all the time. :flower:

And by the way, I think it's a beautiful name. :)

If you love it you should go for it. I imagine as soon as she is old enough she will have her own preference for which version of it/which nickname she would like. And to be honest, it is long for a first name, so I think so long as you are prepared that she will probably be called by a shortened version most of the time, then go for it.

I think its lovely - and like pp said, she can then decide later in the future what she would prefer and you've given her options. Go for it!

if you think its perfect then go for go for it. if she doesnt like it as an adult she can go back to lilah

My first thought was no, it's too much of a mouthful, but actually I think it flows really well. If it was me I'd probably go for double barreling it. Either that or add it in as a nickname, before Victoria, so that you have the option of phasing it in as her 1st name- its not totally uncommon to use the second name as the given name. I regret not naming my DD Isobel, a name I've wanted since I was a child, and if I could get away with changing her name I probably would! I love Violet but I just LOVE Isobel.

I would keep it as Lilah. Just from my personal experience, acting on remorse instead of getting over it usually just creates a cycle of remorse over acting on the remorse and so on. Lilah is gorgeous, her brothers know her as Lilah. I would stick to it and ride the remorse out.

I love all three of her (potential) names. I'm glad to hear that your husband is supportive of whatever you want to do.
If I'm perfectly honest, I think Lilah-Azalea Victoria sounds a bit much because of all ending in "a". However, so long as long as your surname doesn't then it would probably be fine. But then theres also the fact that your sons name is so similar - ask yourself if that would bother you in the future? Just keep in mind too that people might try to shorten Azalea because it has 4 syllables. My daughter has 3, and people shorten it on their own all the time. The nice thing about Lilah us you can't really shorten it.

Thanks ladies! you all bring up some valid points.

Oh and It must be a dialect thing, but for us we pronounce Azalea a-ZALE-ya, so only three syllables.

We have rolled out using Azalea as the first, first name. It is just way too similar to Isaiah, which i hadn't realized before others pointed it out....anyone having boy/girl twins? LOL that would be perfect haha.

So I think we are def gonna go w Lilah-Azalea as her first name. Now I need to decide if I should use the hyphen or not. What do u ladies think? On computer I like the hyphen better but as far as handwriting goeS, it doesn't look all that nice.

Lilah-Azalea Victoria Ker
Lilah Azalea Victoria Ker

??

Lilah Azalea Victoria Ker sounds nice

My son is Quintin William David Lastname
he calls himself quintin-william which is funny because I call him just Quin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->