Thinking of having a Home Birth

Lois22

Mum to Emilia
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) I've been considering a home birth for a while. My reason is because I hate hate hospitals! I suffer from anxiety / panic attacks. I also have a phobia of sickness. I feel I'd totally panic in a hospital. Especially when I've given birth and my boyfriend has to leave.

I'm a little worried about home birth also - what of something went wrong? The hospital is 45mins away and what if I couldn't cope with the pain.

I live with my parents and my mum said its totally upto me. She's a bit unsure as its my first baby / labour. Also I think as she had such bad labours (she had us both at 32 weeks). She's not sure how a natural labour goes etc.

Just wanted some pointers and reassurance really :). Also what I need to get for a home birth.

Going to ring my midwife tomorrow and let her know this is what I want to do.

Thank you :) xx

Hi I had a home birth with my first-I used a birthing pool and hypnobirthing and it was a totally wonderful experience. Definately speak to your midwife as soon as you can. In Ireland its a well oiled machine-the ambulance is on standby and it is a homebirth midwives job to know when to transfer-you would not have to worry about that. In fact the research shows that homebirth is just as safe as hospital birth. And its so great not to have to go to hospital and then risk being sent back home and all that. You can just hang out-watch a DVD go for a stroll and just let it all happen.
I hope its not too forward of me to suggest that you work on your fears and phobias as any of that kind of thing can interfere with your labour. Hope you have a wonderful birth whatever you decide x

I've had 2 home births, both with birthing pools, and would reccommend it! The midwives will bring gas and air with them. You'll have a midwife with you at all times during labour and 2 for the 2nd stage. An ambulance will be on standby and if at any point you can't cope with the pain, you can transfer to hospital.
One suggestion I would make, is mental preparation. Labour is painful and first time round can take a long time, so maybe learn some relaxation and breathing techniques to help you focus and get your birthing partners involved too. Home births are amazing but good luck wherever you end up :flower:

You should go for it! The midwife will have all of her medical equipment with her, so it will be just as safe as a birth center.

When I was nursing, we were always told that "information is a prescription against pain" the more you read and find out about what to expect, the more prepared and in control you will feel.
Sheila Kitzenger has written a great book about home birth that I would thoroughly recommend. (available in libraries and amazon) she describes the birthing process incredibly well.

Hi, you will need a couple of things which you will prolly already have around your house, old towels, bucket, torch, snacks (for midwives and you), old bedding, waterproof sheets, prolly more but baby brain lol. The midwives bring gas and air (3x cannisters in my area) and some other things they will need in a pack at 37ish weeks, I also ordered pethidine off my doc, lots of women have had a go at me for it and I had to get it from my doc not the midwives but I had it in my last labours (with no1 mentioning any side effects) and like the idea that I have something to fall back on if i need some extra painrelief, and if i dont need it then it goes down the sink :) If you are serious I would get on to your midwives asap as I moved areas in week 37 of my last preg and my new midwives refused as I had left it too late to get on the lists (although ive heard different areas have different rules) x good luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->