Thinking of Switching

venusrockstar

~Aspiring Photographer~
Reaction score
Like these for example:
https://www.cozybums.ca/applecheeks_e...er_size_1.html

I am thinking about switching from disposables to these because I've heard they are a lot better for preventing poop explosions.

Is it best to buy the one size ones? Or to get them in small, medium or large?

Also, how many should I buy?

How many liners will I need on average?

I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to buy a lot of outer ones because I could just wash it out with a cloth and insert a new liner...

Sorry, I don't know how they work..just need more info :)

Seeing as your baby is a couple of months old, you would probably find it ok and cheaper to buy one-size/birth-to-potty nappies. The problem some people have with BTPs is that they can be very bulky on a newborn but seeing as you're past that stage it should be fine. Other than that though, it's just personal preference. I would suggest buying a few different types and sizes and then seeing what you think.

An important thing to note is the difference between an insert and a liner. It's something that lots of people get confused about and then everybody gets confused when they ask for help :D A liner is something you use to line the nappy, either to keep baby's bottom dryer in the case of fleece liners, or to help clean up poo - they can be fleece or disposable liners. Liners have NO absorbent properties. An insert is absorbent and what I think you meant.

The apple cheeks I think you linked to are pocket nappies, so the insert goes in a pocket in the nappy. With pocket nappies, you can't reuse the outer bit because the inside of the pocket gets wet - you wouldn't want to reuse it! So you would need as many inserts (or sets of inserts, you can use more than one insert in a nappy if you want it more absorbent) as you have outers. You can get nappies where there is no pocket and the insert is what touches the baby's skin. For some of those nappies, you can reuse the outer bit if it is just a wet nappy. An example of a nappy like that is Flips.

I'd really suggest reading the FAQs in the sticky at the top to get an idea of the different types of nappy available. There are loads!

Rachel pretty much summed up what I would have written, but just wanted to add that the way Apple Cheeks markets their inserts can be a bit confusing to first-timers. They can work like a pocket, stuffing the insert in, but they also mention in all their marketing that you can just lay the insert on top instead of stuffing it the pocket, meaning that you can reuse the outer multiple times before having to wash it. I have an Apple Cheek diaper for Emma and personally I would only use it like a pocket. The fleece that lines the inside would still get wet (like any wrap does) but the fleece would be more wet than a regular PUL-only wrap would be and take longer to dry between uses. I like Apple Cheeks but find it kinda annoying that they sell their inserts separately- makes them more expensive than a lot of the other pockets out there. Try a few brands and see what works for you (Cozy Bums has free shipping if you order enough too :thumbup:). hth :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->