Third trimester today! Baby measuring small

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
So today I'm officially third trimester! Had my midwife appt and she measured bump, and it's coming up small (despite me feeling like I've really popped out this week!)

They compare the measurements to your first baby and it seems quite a bit behind compared to my first, so I'm booked in for a scan on Friday evening.

I'm wondering whether the chest infection I had for a few weeks affected him? I don't feel like I'm eating a lot less, and I look about the same if not bigger comparing photos to my last pregnancy? He's been extremely active for the last 24 hours! We could barely get a heart beat at the appointment to be honest. Mostly heard his kicks.

How many cm smaller than you should be?
Chances are scan will measure up just fine. It’s ok to be 2cm smaller or larger than the weeks you are pregnant.

I’ve been having growth scans as was at risk of small baby but all has been good

I measured small with all of mine, 6cm with one. Whats most important is babys fluid and placenta function, theyll check those at the scan. Not all babies are big and it can be dependant on position. Hope all goes ok at your scan x

I don't fully understand the measurements, I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead according to my last appointment, midwife never mentioned it as a concern I just happened to look at what she'd written up, but my bump is really rather small. A family member is due 4 weeks after me, shes massive, been unable to hide it from 9 weeks way bigger than me yet was told she was measuring a week behind?! Seems bizarre, I wonder if the bump size itself bears no relevance to the Fundal height then?

Anyway, I'm sure all will be well come the scan! :hugs:

I think I was about 2-3cm behind. It just seems like a big gap when they mark it on the chart! Just odd as I do really feel bigger this week!

I'm just going to look forward to seeing him again on Friday!
I almost feel as uncomfortable as being 30-35 weeks pregnant at 27 weeks, so low, can't bend over etc! I can't imagine going over due with this pregnancy, so I was shocked to hear they think theres a chance he measuring behind!

I have got a niggling worry that could my bump be smaller due to less amniotic fluid?

Like could I be leaking a little bit? I’ve had to wear panty liners through most of my pregnancy, changing them a few times a day. Sometimes I’ll have small ‘gushes’ if my panty liner isn’t in the right position it will go through my pants and leggings..

They’re not huge gushes so I just thought it was just increased discharge?

Ah I’ll find out soon enough I guess. Just think I probably should have mentioned it when I saw my midwife yesterday!

Not to be TMI but the gushes you feel could even be urine leakage from the baby pressing on your bladder. The only way to know for sure is to mention it to your MW. They can do a dip and see if it is urine vs amniotic fluid. It is highly possible that you could have oligohydramnios but again the only way to be able to tell that is by ultrasound. I had polyhydramnios (the opposite) in my last pregnancy and consistently measured 3-4 cm larger. Thankfully the baby was fine, my doctor said that it doesn't always signify a problem, it just sometimes happens.

I have a small bump, too. Consistently measuring 2-3cm behind. I also did during my first pregnancy. So much of it is probably that baby lays more towards back, and long torso gives my uterus plenty of places to go rather than out. I had growth scan at 28 weeks and had increased fluid. It leveled out by 32, but definitely gave us a scare.

Don't worry too much, just stay in touch with your midwife and don't be afraid to request testing of your fluids.

I'm pretty confident it's not urine leakage, as I feel it coming from my vagina. It reminds me of (TMI) when I used to have heavy periods as a teenager, and you'd get a bit of a 'gush' occasionally. I've always put it down to just increased CM, as it does just look like slightly waterier than usual CM. I thought it had calmed down for a few weeks but it seems to have increased again the last week or so.

I wish my scan was earlier in the day! Have to wait until 6.30pm :( If they say anything about the fluid levels, then I'll definitely request them to test fluids to see if it is a slight leakage!

When I hit 3rd tri, my cm became so fluid like, it's annoying. I wear a panty liner because I can't stand discharge lol...

Hope your scan went well!

Mine measured 29cm at 27 weeks then down to 28.5cm at 31 weeks then today 32cm at 33 weeks. I think a lot can depend on how baby is lying when they measure the uterus as my midwife told me a 2-3cm variation is normal for this reason.

I hope your growth scan went well hun.

My midwives have said that fundal height is the worst measurement you can ever go by and she didn't understand why they still did it really. Each midwife has their own way of measuring, plus depending on which position the baby is in will mean the measurement is different also how much weight you've gained.

I don't understand them comparing to your last pregnancy.. body shape can be different, weight, height etc will all make the measurements different. <3

Sorry! I was sure I updated this! Scan was fine, he's only a tiny little bit under what my first was! I feel so huge today, feels like my belly is really starting to round and harden up more! xxx

I'm assuming as long as the measurements increase at my midwife appts I shouldn't need another scan.

that is fantastic news! Im so glad It went well :) It may be worth asking at your next appointment as sometimes when you've had one growth scan they like to do more (I had them at 28,32 & 36 weeks). Never a bad thing to get to see your little one again :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->