those of you who nurse to sleep... advice please

BrandyBestPal

Reaction score
I am going to start the weaning process soon... The plan was to cut back on one session per week. First, I thought I would eliminate the night time nursing (I don't call it feeding, because I know she just nurses for comfort)... But now, I think I should leave the night time nursing for the very last.
LO does not go back to sleep in the night without nursing. The day is fine and so is going to bed. It's just 12 midnight, 3am, 5am... Dd will literally scream the house down until she gets the boob.
I don't want to nurse forever. I'd like to be done by mid December - in time for the holidays... And I just don't know what to do.
Any success stories? Or advice?

No advice from me, sorry. Guess what I'm doing right now...

I don't mind, though, and am not planning to wean just yrt, so my situation is different.

Check out the toddler forum. I recently read a post on there about this subject. The basics of it said to start unlatching LO when almost asleep. After that, set a time limit on each nursing session and gradually shorten the time. Sorry I don't remember much more, but it was recent. Hopefully someone will link it since I can't on my phone :) Good luck

Mine stopped BF at 11 months and was still nursing almost to sleep at the time :nope: He was going down awake but still needed the boob to relax. It was not an easy week. I don't believe there is any no-cry way he could have learned to sleep without boob. You could try the gentle removal method, NCSS style, but that doesn't seem to work for many babies. Other than that I think you will just have to support her through the change as much as is helpful to her, and expect some complaining.

I remember when I was weaning I started adding a bottle for the night feedings and I didn't let her fall asleep on the breast by tickling her feet or patting her back but then offer her the bottle, after that we just snuggle in a chair and I'd sing to her until she falls asleep. Gosh feels like it was centuries ago.. She stopped waking up at night for breast.

I remember when I was weaning I started adding a bottle for the night feedings and I didn't let her fall asleep on the breast by tickling her feet or patting her back but then offer her the bottle, after that we just snuggle in a chair and I'd sing to her until she falls asleep. Gosh feels like it was centuries ago.. She stopped waking up at night for breast.

My goal was to avoid the bottle, but that's a good plan for night time nursing. Did you let your LO fall asleep with the bottle in their crib? I've heard that's not good for their teeth. I'll try anything, though. I'm getting desperate. I'm hoping she'll stop waking once we eliminate the night nursing...

My goal was to avoid the bottle, but that's a good plan for night time nursing. Did you let your LO fall asleep with the bottle in their crib? I've heard that's not good for their teeth. I'll try anything, though. I'm getting desperate. I'm hoping she'll stop waking once we eliminate the night nursing...

No she never really fell asleep drinking the bottle, she'd get drowsy but we didn't get used to it to fall asleep with it :) we did snuggle after in a rocking chair but not for long.

you know, now that I think about it, you probably shouldn't start bottles so late? I weaned at 6-7 months so a bit different; there is NUK sippy cup you might want to try, that's how we transitioned from bottle since it looks and probably feels the same. Ironically enough, DD still (!) drinks milk before bed from this sippy cup. She's 3,5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->