Those on iron tablets!!

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
I picked up my iron tablets today and read the negetive side effects.... as anyone experienced them!!

Also whats your dosage?? Im on 200mg (1 tablet) twice a day!!

Im not keen on having black number 2s :rofl:

I'm on 300 mg (one pill though) daily). And yes I have the black/green poo :rofl: But considering the other side effects I'm ok with that. My pharmacist told me to try to take them with a form of vitamin C (so I drink OJ or grape juice when I take mine), always take it with food (otherwise you will get a very upset stomach), and never take it with any form of calcium (the two bind together and cancel each other out!)

You're welcome, and I should have mentioned to not take calcium 2 hours prior and 2 hours after (according to my pharmacist). I've found taking the pills in the morning easiest for me because I'm not a cereal eater and it was easiest to not eat any calcium in the mornings :D

crikey yeh I didnt think of that lol!! Cereal!!! Ill have to do lunch and dinner!!

God Im crap at remember to take pills!!! :)

Do I have to get on to you too :grr: Already have to make leeanne go to the clinic tomorrow to get her bloods taken :rofl:

:rofl: I'm going to have to start writing notes to myself to keep up with you lot :rofl:

I'm on them but I'm supposed to take them first thing in the morning on an empty stomache (only one) and haven't been told anything about the calcium thing but have been told taking with OJ means it's absorbed into your body better.

xx

Your body does absorb more if you can take it without food, but it also does a real number on your stomach (well most people's at least)--that's why most doctors prescribe such high amounts of iron--because they know you'll have to take it with food. And the calcium thing I didn't know either until my pharmacist told me, I've read it a few other places as well since than though.

Ive recently started taking iron tablets twice a day, on the leaflet it does advise to take with/after food, and no milk/tea/coffee/wholegrains but vitamin c rich things and meat helps to absorb the iron into body.

Already got back number 2's-lovely! having to swap my meals around ie i usually have wholegrain cereal with milk for breakfast! lol....

I was only ever prescribed them after i had my kids because i went anemic after the birth.
I remember the effects they had on your tummy, not pleasant.

3 x 200mg per day WITH food.

No side effects other than BLACK POO!!!

x

Can't remember the dosage without looking at the box, which I don't have here.

But ditto on the black poo! Eugh!

I was also told to take mine after a meal and at a different time than my prenatal vitamin (which has calcium in it). So I take the prenatal in the morning and the iron in the evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->