Those who hemorrhaged with their first

butterflywolf

Reaction score
Okay I know I'm not technically here yet, but figured this would be best suited here.

Anyway, long story short, my daughter (first baby) was a whooper. 9 lbs 3 oz AND 22 inches. No GD during pregnancy either. She also hid real well cause I always measured on to maybe a week ahead. Doctor said he was expecting an 8 pound at most.
Well as soon as I had her, I hemorrhaged, bad. 2 liters of blood lost. My uterus just would not clamp down it was too exhausted. It was nearing to the point of a blood transfusion AND taking out my uterus if it didn't stop within the next minute or so. It was bad.

So I was just wondering those who did have a bad hemorrhage with their first, did you hemorrhage again with any of your other pregnancies? If this is your second baby after a hemorrhage are you worried about it happening again?

I had a postpartum hemorrhage losing 4 litres of blood 10 days after I gave birth so I don't know if the same applies. But my midwife said they will treat my actual birth as higher risk and will monitor me for the 4-6 hours after but after that I'll be treated as any other new mum. Which I understand as I can't be closely monitored for 10 days, but it definitely doesn't stop me worrying!:nope: But I can't help you with 'will it happen again' experience as this is my second, but my midwife doesn't seem to think there is much increased risk with me previously having a hemorrhage:flower:

My mother did with me (I was only around 6 lbs but she did had GD), and almost died. She went on to have two normal vaginal births with no complications with my younger siblings.

Good luck! :hugs:

Do you know if subchronic hemorrhages during pregnancy causes this during labor?

With my first, I had a home birth with a 6 lb baby girl and hemorrhaged due to a very long labour. I lost over a litre of blood and thankfully didn't need a transfusion, but recovery was tough.

I just had my second 10 days ago at home -- an 8 lb boy! I didn't hemorrhage either! So just because you hemorrhaged with your first doesn't mean you will with subsequent births.
babifever, I had a subchorionic hematoma with this pregnancy, and it did not mean that I was more likely to hemorrhage.

Do you know if subchronic hemorrhages during pregnancy causes this during labor?

I did not have a subchronic hemorrhage with my daughter. I don't think the two are related at all.

Thank you ladies for all your input/advice/stories.

I had massive PPH after DS1 and did not respond to the 3 injection options available to stop the bleeding so was sent to theater (with warnings of uterus removal, waking up in ICU etc.).... I won't go into gory detail of the surgery.

Much like OP I was concerned about it with #2 (even though there was in reality no higher risk) so OB managed third stage a little differently, putting me on a drip as soon as placenta was delivered. Not sure whether I needed it physically but his thinking was that if he didn't do it, I'd probably need it. It definitely gave me peace of mind though.

My midwives were at the ready with pitocin (which I needed to stop the first PPH), but I prefer a physiological management of the third stage so I only wanted them to use it if I started hemorrhaging. Thankfully I didn't need it!

I had PPH with my first, uterus wouldn't contract so had Bakri balloon inserted and needed 2 blood transfusions so I am scared about same thing happening this time. The consultant has said although there is a higher than normal risk it is unlikely and they will monitor me closely, have drip in ready to go, and have managed 3rd stage.
I would much prefer a natural water birth but I know this can't happen so at least feel reassured that they will be paying close attention.

I had PPH with my first, uterus wouldn't contract so had Bakri balloon inserted and needed 2 blood transfusions so I am scared about same thing happening this time. The consultant has said although there is a higher than normal risk it is unlikely and they will monitor me closely, have drip in ready to go, and have managed 3rd stage.
I would much prefer a natural water birth but I know this can't happen so at least feel reassured that they will be paying close attention.

Having a prior PPH shouldn't exclude you from a water birth as a reason alone. I had home water births with both my PPH and my non-PPH births -- they were just more observant and at the ready to intervene with a shot of pitocin at a moment's notice, but I ended up having a totally physiological birth without any interventions.

That's interesting. I've been told by midwives and consultant that I wouldn't be allowed one. I managed to get them to stretch to labouring in pool but said I would need to get out for delivery. Maybe they are more relaxed on home births? I would love home birth but as we are far from hospital and with previous PPH wouldn't risk it. Good to hear you managed no interventions this time.

Strange, maybe they're just not comfortable assessing blood loss in water. Some midwives are, some aren't. When I hemorrhaged in the tub with my first, it was pretty obvious -- she came out in a bunch of blood and the whole tub turned dark and it just continued after I got out. This time, the tub was clear after he was born and there was only a little bit of blood once the placenta detached on its own, which is normal. A pretty big observable difference though!
A hospital is only needed if you need a blood transfusion or surgery, but PPHs can be managed just fine at home with clot removal, uterine massage, and pitocin. The majority of the time there's plenty of time to transfer after those management techniques if they want to do a transfusion, so that's why I was comfortable birthing at home again. :)

I'll keep asking! My uterus wouldn't contract with massage and piticon and I kept bleeding until they inserted a bakri balloon to compress it so that's why it wouldn't be right for me at home, and we are 40mins from hospital. But you're right, they should be able to assess blood loss in pool so I'll push them again.

Good luck! I hope they end up being okay with a water birth.

I had a pph at 2weeks and 2 days after dd was born. I haven't thought to bring it up with my midwife. But they didn't seem overly concerned when it happened. I'm glad you brought it up because now I'll def be asking about it.

I'm not in 3rd tri yet but just browsing the forums :)

I had an 11 lb 4 baby and had a PPH of 3.2 litres. Rushed to surgery as I had a 4th degree tear from cervix to bum. Blood transfusions, more stitches than they could even tell me... needless to say this one will be cesarean :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->