Thoughts on reusing old car seat

Mabv812

Reaction score
My son's old chicco nextfit zip doesn't expire until mid 2018. So I was thinking about using it for the new baby. But it's also been sitting in a closet for 3.5 years! Now I'm torn... and i also have to buy a new breast pump. Sigh

Check out all the belts and if nothing is frayed, you're good to go. I used the same carrier car seat with all of my babies as newborns. I move them to convertible car seats after a couple of months anyway, only using the carrier car seat for trips to restaurants. I finally had to get rid of it after using it for a few months for my fourth baby because the belts started to fray. It had a good life.

I think another big issue is to check the plastic all around the carseat, look for any weakened spots or stress spots they look lighter in color like when you bend plastic and it turns whitish.. those weakened spots come from use and heat of being in a car, and can compromise the integrity of the carseat. But we will be reusing ours from dd2, got a new one from dd1 to dd2 but that was only because we got a new stroller and wanted the right kind of carseat to fit it.. and we don't keep it in the heat, it stays inside in a closet.. we will also check it thoroughly before use. But same as p.o., dd2 hated her infant carseat and we ended up putting her in a convertible by 4 months of age, so I don't want to buy a new one if we just have to go buy a new convertible one also!

I used the same car seat for all three of my kids and if it hadn't expired last year, I'd likely still be using it for bubs. I stored it in a plastic storage bag in a closet and inspected it & washed everything before use and it worked just fine.

They go through car seats so dang fast that I don't see why not, as long as it is not too used. I used the same car seats for all my kids, minus one that was in a car accident after a van slammed into us when my DD was 2 months old, but the one we bought to replace it and the next one when she outgrew the rear facing were used by everyone.

I am planning to reuse everything, including the car seat. I used it for both kids, then my cousin used it for her dd, and my friend is finishing up with it now for her baby. Will be the fifth run for it

My check with your insurance about the breast pump. I get a free pump for each pregnancy for like up to a year of bfing might be two

As long as it's in good shape and hasn't been in an accident, why not? We were planning to re-use ours (which is nearly 5 years old), but the only reason we got a new one was because the old one isn't as clean as it should be (and you can't take the straps off to clean, my daughter vomited on it one of the last times it was used, and even though it was cleaned, it's not totally fresh) and also it doesn't fit our new pushchair (the old one it used to fit has long since broken and gone in the bin). Buying all the new attachments to fit a new one was more expensive than just buying a new seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->