Thwarted again by my high blood pressure!

NawlinsMama

Mummy to 1, due Nov 27
Reaction score
Well, I've talked to a midwife and the local birthing center and they both said the same thing: My chronic hypertension completely disqualifies me from a home birth, water birth, and even a birthing center birth. Apparently it's the law in SC. :cry:

I was so set on this home water birth idea after my yucky experiences with DD's hospital birth, now I'm feeling pretty down.

Any ideas for me, ladies? Am I really condemned to the hospital, being made to accept gallons of pitocin and then being told that "No, you don't need to push yet. Stop! You're imagining it!"

Aren't there any other options???

If you do need to go in hospital make a birth plan and make sure your caregiver is very aware of what u want they cant force anything onto you so just be informed

Agreed with the above. You don't have to have pitocin and high BP is not always an indicator that you have to have an epidural. I had preeclampsia and it was unmanageable after a week of being in hospital so the decision was made to induce which I agreed to but we use prostin gels here so it's less traumatic. If you have chronic high BP and it's not shy rocketing to where it is damaging you or bubs and bubs is well as evidenced by scans then they have no right to enforce any intervention on you. Have your bloods checked and once you know there is no sigh of preeclampsia and your bp is managed then it's just a normal birth.

I would use the shower or bath if they have one until you are really uncomfortable, make it very clear about what interventions you will allow under normal circumstances and read read read. There was a book I saw in the States when I was there and I so wished I had bought it. It was called The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth - Henci Goer. This is armed with summaries of research etc to argue the 'policies' to induce and cut etc after doctor determined time frames. The book helps you weigh up what is best for you and what the risks are and provides suggested options of management.

I'm unsure of the law in your State, some do staggeringly have laws against homebirth, let alone the restrictions of medical care by going against medical advice if you want to be supported - I really feel for you (really)

Hope is not lost though, Get yourself clued up on those important questions. Ultimately I can't see a reason (esp when considering international law on the protection of the family) that any country subscribing to it (such as the USA) could rightly legislate against a physiological function of the human body such as giving birth. And the likeyhood of a mother being prosecuted for having a homebirth.

Seriously wish I could be of more help on the legal side.

You also have your own interpretation of risks and how the medical evidence is viewed - if it is significant and how it might effect you. That is down to personal choice. So how do you feel about your blood pressure.. it has to be dependant on how high, and if there are any other symptoms of PE or low birth weight as a result of it? or if it is simply gestational hypertention.

Sorry I’m being useless - I would advise trying to find the law that effects you - most lawyers will be able to see you on a free consultation.. But they wouldn’t perhaps be interested unless there was a case to make their money back, unless it is a charity (horrible world we live in), or do you have state legal advice service?
XxX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->