Timing the flight to come see the birth

Calif

Baby was born 6/2013!
Reaction score
My family (mom, dad) want to be here for the birth in the waiting room, but they live hours away via plane. Did any of you ladies deal with this? Pick a date? Lol
They only have a week of vacation so they if they come too early they'll miss the baby altogether.
I was 4 weeks early, husband was 2 days late (his older siblings were much later)

I'm not sure where you live, but travel search engine sites like lastminutetravel.com have been recommended to me. You could check out how much a flight (say leaving tomorrow from parents home town to yours) would be to get an idea. Also, my in-laws just want to be in town to meet her soon after birth and don't necessarily care if they are here during the actual birth. We asked my doctor what is the absolute last day that she would induce and just told my in-laws to come a few days before then.

I told my mom not to worry about trying to make it there for the day she's actually born. It's just too expensive to fly last minute. I told her to come a few weeks after she's born, after my DH goes back to work, to help me out at home. That way it's less stressful for everyone.

I've got no advice really not a lot u cab do and btw all of my moms kids were weeks early my kids late

There is really no easy answer. Talk to your doctor and see what your latest induce day would be if you don't go into labor beforehand, and make sure they don't plan a trip more than a few days before that, so they don't miss baby completely. Otherwise, it's just gonna be luck.

We deliberately scheduled my parents to come over 4 weeks AFTER the due date so that even if I went 2 weeks overdue (it's our first) me and my husband (who is taking 2 weeks off after baby is born) can get used to us three as a family.
If baby arrives a lot earlier it will be a bit of a set back for my parents but that's what living in a different country (or a long distance away) brings with it...
I guess it also depends on how comfortable you and your husband are with having the in-laws/parents around so shortly after the birth.
I love my parents and in-laws to bits but find it more important that hubby has his bit of "me-time" with his baby too.
I guess you can just never time it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"