Tips for breastfeeding after scheduled section?

rescuemom82

Reaction score
I'm having a scheduled section with baby #2 in about 6 weeks.

I had an emergency c section first time after a really rough labor and I was ill with infection, my daughter had distress but she still latched perfectly and was OK except being severely jaundiced, had to have formula top ups in the NICU (which I was ok with, she was literally wasting away) and we went home after her levels went down and no more formula was needed.

However, in a sad twist of events we only lasted 2 months BF because she had a casein allergy among other things and she could not tolerate my milk even with elimination diets.

With this in mind I really want to BF for longer this time but I'm worried my son will have the same jaundice she had...it's not the typical newborn jaundice but the ABO incompatibility which can be dangerous if not treated.

My milk took 7 days to come in after my trauma of labor and surgery...I'm hoping with the scheduled c section it will be faster.

Just looking for tips and reassurance, this has been really heavy on my mind.

Hi there - my ds was emergency section and I fed him exclusively for 3 months before he was diagnosed with cows milk protein allergy and lactose intolerance and moved to prescription formula.

I've just had dd by elective section and my milk came in on day 3. She is a great feeder although I'm having some problems with nipple damage as she is a very strong sucker, and is on the boob a lot. I had no problems with jaundice. I'm hoping dd won't have the same allergies but the doctor told us to look out for it as it can run in families.

Good luck! X

Hiya, I have just had an elective c section, I had an emergency one with my first after a failed induction . With DS1 I tried to breastfeed but I didn't produce any milk, which is probably because I had gestational diabetes with him so I was very nervous about this pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Luckily I didn't get GD with this one and I have had no problems with breastfeeding my LO. He latched straightaway when we were in recovery and has been great ever since. My tip would be lots and lots of skin to skin, I saw a breastfeeding consultant when I was pregnant and this is what she advised.

I did try and have LO on my chest as soon as he was born while I was being stitched up but I found it very uncomfortable and awkward so my OH held him instead until we got into recovery but my blood pressure kept dropping so I wasn't feeling great in theatre so you may have a better experience if you want to have your baby on you while still in theatre.

My LO was born at 11:15 and I don't think we got him dressed until about 4 or 5 in the evening, I just held him on chest the whole time with a blanket over him. My milk came in on day 2 so I think it definitely helped.

Good luck, I don't have any advice about the allergies though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->