Tips for dealing with engorgement

Doodlebug88

Reaction score
My 9 week old lo has for the last 3 nights only been waking once for a feed. While this is lovely getting some sleep the engorgement is really uncomfortable. I'm only able to feed from one side when he does wake as he falls asleep once done.

He wakes around 7am and during the daytime feeds every 2-2.5 hours but it takes me until early afternoon to feel comfortable. I'm trying to avoid pumping a lot out as I know this won't help my supply adjust. I usually pump around 6am and get an oz in a few mins then stop.

Any tips or advice to help as it's pretty painful when I wake up.

Hand express a little to make yourself comfortable! Another few days and your body will naturally adjust.

I pumped for 5 minutes and got 3 oz! Lo woke just as I finished so he is emptying the rest. I think he has been getting too much fore milk lately so is good for him I pumped 3oz out.

In the first few weeks I pumped in the morning one side until empty while lo fed on the other. Takes a little co-ordination, but the letdown is much faster with baby helping it along.

In my experience, one pump per day didn't prolong the engorgement phase. I built up a stash and I was much more comfortable :)

Try a hot shower and massage your breasts to soften them a little. Then give a little massage again just before feeding, which should help with the comfort levels.

i second the hand expressing a little off. pumping really caused me to have a bad oversupply and I didn't pump that much or that often. I guess my body was just more sensitive to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->