tips for disciplining a SN child

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
im at my wits end trying to get my LB to understand about sharing and not being violent to others.

he has learning delays amongst other things and i honestly believe he just doesnt understand but hes quite big and strong and is quite physical with other kids :cry:

im fed up of having to keep explaining to other parents hes got difficulties (feels like im making excuses for his behaviour) but i just dont know how to handle this.

any suggestions?

Have you tried just taking him out of the situation? Like if hes playing with another child and gets aggressive remove him from the other child and give him something else to play with. He will soon learn that if he acts that way he can no longer play. My guess is that he doesn't understand what you are telling him, but he may understand that the bad action equals no toy. Just an idea. I know that it will probably take awhile for it to sink in and you have to be very consistent. Good luck with your son!!

Yes this is something I think I'm going to try and work on. We've tried it once or twice and he just has a major tantrum at being taken away which result in us having a kind of time out/quiet few minutes to try and calm him down. I think this Is something I need to persist with so he sees its consistent tho.

Thanks x

Have you tried sharing with him and taking turns? I remember for ages I had to go over and over mummy's turn, ossie's turn at cars going down a ramp as that was what he was interested in at the time. I can't help you with sharing though as my son will just let others take things from him and he'll go and do something else. Guess he doesn't like to make a fuss

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->