Tips for expressing and getting 4 month old to take a bottle

Stardancin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I ebf but need to attend a work event soon where it won't be possible to bf so need to start to pump to get lo used to a bottle feed occasionally. Does anyone have any tips on the best way/times to start pumping and how to get lo to take a bottle? He's very attached to the breast lol and I've heard a lot of people talk about how difficult it can be :nope:

He's 19 weeks now and feeds on demand so difficult to leave for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Thanks!

It could be tricky given LO's age but you never know until you try.

I pump every morning after LO's first feed, so the boobs know to give me a bit more at that time! I know some people feed in the evenings after LO's gone to bed but for me that was always difficult as my LO can be unpredictable in the evening and I'd never be sure if he would want another feed.

As for giving the bottle, it's usually best to get OH/DH or your mum to do it, someone he's comfortable with. My baby has a bottle once a week on a Saturday when I go to the gym and he knows that he gets breast for me and bottle from daddy! Generally babies are much more likely to refuse a bottle from mummy because they know the source is right there!

If he refuses there are different bottles you can try. We use the medela calma bottle, which mimics the breast in its action. I chose those because I wanted him to switch easily between breast and bottle and not to prefer the bottle, but given your LO's age I highly doubt he'd start preferring the bottle.

I've also heard that for a first time it's best not to leave it until baby is very hungry, because they're liable to get too upset and refuse. Maybe try when he fancies a snack but not a full meal :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->