Tips for getting baby to take a bottle?

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
I've been expressing milk (so Daddy can feed Scarlett occasionally if I have an appointment or he wants to take her out somewhere) but she won't take it from the bottle.

We have Medella and Avent bottles, she doesn't like either.

Any tips on how to 'teach' her to use a bottle? I've been leaving the room and Daddy has been propping her up on his legs to feed her but she just pushes at the bottle with her tongue and eventually gets frustrated with it. After 5/10 minutes we go back to boob as I don't want her to associate the bottle with stress.

We have slow flow teats but I have an over active let down so I'm wondering if actually a faster flow teat might be 'closer to breast' on our case?

Advice from anyone who has experienced this would be great!

We've tried 5 different types of bottles and Jessica will now take avent natural bottles, but won't take more than 2.5oz from a bottle. I was told to go straight to number 2 teats, as number 1s are too slow after being used to breast. My oh also holds her in a similar position I do to feed her. Good luck!!

Try MAM bottles. Recommended by my lactation consultant.

Millie takes from MAM & no.1 teat.

It is baby dependent but I'd avoid tommee tippee, they're apparently worst for nipple confusion.

I've tried six different brands with my second daughter over many many weeks. She would just scream as soon as the bottle was in her mouth and would spit out any milk that would dribble in. Well we just picked one ( to keep it consistent) We started to offer one bottle each day. And when she started to really cry, we would just take it out and that would be that for the day, not making a fuss about it. Eventually she would let it be in her mouth and would play with it and not scream. Then she would start to suck a bit, but not really drink much. Now about 6 weeks later, some days she drinks 1-2 oz from it, and other days she drinks 3-4 oz. at least I know that she will drink even a little to tide her over until I would be able to get home from an appointment or something. It's not great ( my first daughter took a bottle just fine) but it came along with patience and perseverance. I don't think she will ever " enjoy" a bottle feeding, but she will take a few ounces without the screaming and crying mess that she used to do. Good luck, it's frustrating, but keep trying and don't push it when baby reacts.... That's what helped us slowly get there

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->