Tips for natural hospital birth...

Disneygrl

Reaction score
I'm giving birth in a hospital, mostly because I'm a FTM, scared and gbs+, and am getting an Iv. I do feel like I have a high threshold for pain, and mind over matter works well with me (I'm more afraid of the epidural than the pain).

BUT I'm also not naive and know it is going to hurt! So, are there any tips you can give me, like breathing techniques, etc that will help me?

Yes please! I could have written this myself. I hate needles and catheters and just the idea of an epidural turns me off.

Stalking!

My best advice: Prepare! I could have written your post before my first. I had a good attitude going in and I did do it naturally but I have to admit, that at some point, I completely lost control of myself and just panicked. If you prepare and practise now and also prepare your birth partner, hopefully you'll have the skills to overcome any feelings of panic and get back to being relaxed and calm.

Breathing: Practise deep breathing. Take a deep breath in through your nose, breathing right down to your tummy so you can feel it rise, then let the breath go through your mouth. Try to do this rhythmically and as slowly as is comfortable, ideally with the out breath being longer than the in breath. Practise as often as you can. Closing your eyes may help. Later on, you might need to switch to taking deep breaths in through your nose, followed by a short fast breath out through your mouth then in again slowly through your nose etc. Get your birth partner to notice when you're not breathing calmly and to remind you to do it. Ideally, practise together do he/she can get you to breathe calmly by doing it with you.

Distraction/focussing: When in labour, concentrate on something other than the pain. Take a scan picture to look at or count the tiles on the wall or recite the alphabet or a song you like in your head.

Atmosphere: Make sure you feel safe and private at all times. Dining the light, taking your own blankets and music, asking staff not to chat to each other etc can all help to improve your surroundings. Make your birth partner responsible for making you feel as safe and comfortable as possible.

Relaxation: Practise relaxing your body by closing your eyes and focussing on each part in turn, from head to toe. Then tell yourself to relax each part, ie "face, relax!", "jaw, relax!", "shoulders, relax!". This takes some practise but you'll get better at it quickly. In labour, remember to relax your jaw, shoulders, hands and pelvis (think "letting go" when on the toilet). Get your birth partner to monitor these areas and remind you to relax if necessary.

Movement/positions: Try to be as active as you can, changing position frequently. Don't lie down on your back, instead try all fours, lean over the back of the bed or on your partner, squat, walk, or if you need a rest, lie on your left side. The more active you are, the quicker you will progress. If things get too intense and you need a break, go on all fours and let your upper body drop to the floor. That way, gravity takes some of the pressure off your cervix, making contractions less intense. For pushing, don't let anyone bully you into lying on your back. That position is easier for hospital staff but any upright position makes it much easier to push baby out.

Knowledge: Read up a little on the different stages of labour, if you haven't already. Especially transition can be scary as you get a big dose of adrenaline and many women feel they can't do it when transition hits. Know that that's normal and means that you're nearly there.

Finally, remember that it's all temporary and each contraction brings your baby a little bit closer to you. It'll be over before you know it and you'll have a lifetime after that to enjoy your child. :) Best of luck!

I labored naturally until the end, that was when I asked for an epidural LOL.. I did hafta have an IV once while labouring though because I didn't drink or eat anything for more then 12 hours, so I would suggest you keep yourself well hydrated even if you don't feel like it. :flower:

Thank you both! I am going in trying for natural as long as I can...hopefully the entire thing. I do plan on breathing through the contractions and moving as much as I can.

If I could do it again (also was GBS+ with my 1st), I would have refused fetal monitoring (the strap - internal, fine).

I had a natural birth in a pool and would love to have the same again.
My labour started on a Tuesday night while late night shopping, I drove myself home, watched TV had a few phone calls, had a bath, my labour slowed most of Wednesday, it ramped up again late Wednesday night, went to hospital at 1am and gave birth at 4am. Made my phone calls at 7.30 / 8.00.

Other than DH and the hospital NOBODY knew I was in labour therefore avoiding all the phone calls and text messages "Oh are you ok", "when are you going to hospital. why not get checked", "any news", "can I come over", "I don't want to make you panic but here's somebody elses horror story"

Due to being hospitalised with flu (please get your flu jab) I missed ALL my antinatal classes I asked the midwife on the ward what had I missed "Eh it's a long time since I did classes so I can't remember but the one thing I would say is stay at home as long as possible" she went on to explain if you stay at home you won't think about it, you know when you have a sore ankle or something and somebody asks how it is and suddenly it's sore again, labour is no diffrent if you are at home watching telly, making tea, wandering, bopping to your fav tunes, faffing you have things to take your mind off the pain. Early labour can take up to 2 days.

My main advice is to relax and let your body do its job and enjoy.

Stay home as long as you can. My early labor lasted 2-3 days and I am so glad I got to be home to eat what and when I wanted, use my own bathroom, and sleep in my own bed (well sleeping when I could at least).

Honestly, LISTEN to them when they say to stay home until you can't talk or walk through the contractions. The early contractions are uncomfortable and sometimes they hurt, but real, active labor contractions are a different animal. I say just stay at home until you are starting to have a hard time concentrating or breathing through them, and of course they have to be frequent and regular.

Staying home allowed me to easily get my natural hospital birth last time.. The downside being that I missed the antibiotics for GBS. So this time, I have no idea when to go in.. I don't want to hang around the hospital for long but you need something like 2 or 4 hours for the antibiotics to work...

I would recommend taking a class geared toward those interested in natural childbirth. That was the best thing I did to prepare in terms of learning about natural pain relief techniques.

Vocalizing and sitting on an exercise ball were very, very, very helpful for me. TENS helped me get through early labor, too.

Stalking this thread! Posted one of my own elsewhere and then found this one while browsing through! Excellent!!!
Disneygrl, I could've written exactly what you wrote. Exact same boat over here!

Update: I had my baby and did it all natural! The nurses were really trying to push an epidural or meds but my dr was so supportive of a natural. I was in labor from 3 to 130 and I used breathing techniques. I ended up with a third degree year and have taken meds for that but I didn't count it since the baby was already out! Thanks guys!

Update: I had my baby and did it all natural! The nurses were really trying to push an epidural or meds but my dr was so supportive of a natural. I was in labor from 3 to 130 and I used breathing techniques. I ended up with a third degree year and have taken meds for that but I didn't count it since the baby was already out! Thanks guys!

WWAAAHHOOOO!!!!! Congratulations!! Very happy for you. Good work on doing it natural. You go girl! Good luck and I hope you got some rest in the hospital. :happydance:

Well done Disney and congratulations on your baby.

I'm aiming to go without pain killers, this thread is helping me thank you!

Well done you! And congratulations on the birth of your little one! You should be very proud of yourself for sticking to your own plans despite the nurses trying to push things in you! Hope your recovery is smooth and quick and you have a wonderful time getting to know your little bundle of joy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->